Chapter 16

-ALEX POV-

Nate and Stacy

Nate and freaking Stacy

Walking into the cafeteria.

Holding hands and laughing.

Like the happiest couple in the world.

Nate and my best friend.

I felt like my lunch from 10 years ago was going to be thrown up over Jack. A million emotions came rushing to the surface all at once. Anger, Jealousy, Hurt and mostly - Betrayal.

How could Nate play me like some doll and throw me away for my bestfriend - out of all the people. Nate and Stacy sat down, still holding hands. She whispered in his ear and he chuckled and kissed her forehead.

I felt sick. "What the hell?" Jack whispered just as surprised as i am because everyone knew Nate doesn't like her. But here he is, kissing her, holding her, playing boyfriend and girlfriend with her.

How could he do this to me? Nate's eyes met mine across the room, I saw pain in his eyes and also...coldness. Stacy looked up and waved at Jack and I, we waved back weakly still shocked.

Nate still stared me down, but I looked down at my lunch. Not hungry anymore. "Sorry, I'm just gonna go." I said to Jack. I got up and hurried out of the cafeteria, Jack ran after me so I dashed into the girls bathroom and locked myself in a stall.

How dare he do that to me? After all he said, all he did. He turns around and goes after my bestfriend. This is not okay, at all. I cried for a solid 20 minutes before exiting the stall only to come face to face with  a serious looking Jack.

"Why?" He asked leaning against the sink as if a Boy in a girls bathroom was totally normal.

"Why what?" I asked playing dumb trying to sound like i wasn't crying.

He rolled his eyes. "Why didn't you tell me you have feelings for Maloley? Or that you two hooked up?"

"I uh..that didn't happen...thats...I don't even know what you mean." I said turning bright red.

"Im your best friend Alex, its pretty obvious that something went down."

I knew he didn't believe me so I sighed and hung my head. "I didn't want Sammy to find out because he doesn't want me with Nate."

"Lex...come here." Jack said pulling me into a big hug. I immediately started balling and clung to him like my life depended on it. I couldn't hide my hurt from Jack who knew me so well. "Its okay, let it out." He comforted me.

"I-I-I'm so stu-upid. For be-lieving him." I hiccuped and sobbed into Jacks chest

"No, the bastards stupid for choosing someone else because you're more than perfect Alex. He's a dick okay? And Stacy wouldn't even last long." He said.

I laughed bitterly. "I don't even care if they last Jack...I can't care."

"Cmon lets skip? Then you can tell me everything." He said pulling me out of the bathroom and outside to his car.

And thats what we did. We bought junk food, parked out at the beach and talked for hours on end. I told Jack everything from the party at Carters house, to the first time, to the words he said right until  walking into the cafeteria with Stacy.

"Woah woah. Stacy slept with Sammy?" He asked. I nodded. "Geez, and now she's with Nate?"

"I know, she even slept over one night but they called it it a 'one time thing' so I guess it was." I shrugged and sunk lower in my seat.

"What are you gonna do?" Jack asked.

I shrugged. "Ignore Nate. Be happy for Stacy."

Jack stared at me. "You're too nice Alex, why not tell Stacy that you and Nate were together before she messed it up."

I laughed. "And thats gonna stop Stacy? She would try harder...she always gets the guy Jack since middle school."

"Thats not true. You're prettier, smarter and much nicer. You have more to offer than just sex."

"Guys don't go for that anymore brutha, its pointless even trying. Obviously Nate picked her and its over now." I said.

"They're idiots." Jack said.

I giggled. "Stacy isn't at fault though because she doesn't know. She's still our bestie so lets just be happy for her."

"See? You're too nice! But yeah lets get ya back to school for your detention." 

I nodded. We headed back to school just as it ended, Jack dropped me off and offered to take me home too because he had football practice for an hour too. We parted ways and I made my way to detention.

It was empty when i got there, Ms April - a really mean, nasty old lady who isn't married yet - is the detention teacher. Great.

"Ms Wilkinson, surprised to see you here in detention." She said smirking like she had been waiting for me to be here forever. I looked down and sulked.

"You won't be alone because we have another delinquent joining us - ahh here he is! Take a seat Mr Maloley." She drawled as the door shut.

I was going to laugh in Ms Aprils wrinkly face and claim that I'm being Punked and as I look up, I'll see the handsome Ashton Kutcher. But because the universe hates me and thinks I haven't been tortured enough my eyes met big brown ones which belonged to Nate.

Aren't I lucky?

An hour with Nate Maloley.