CHAPTER 25

AVERY'S POV:

After I asked Roman if he knew about Tanya Donovan his mood darkened even more if that was possible. And knowing he thought I will think differently of him once he told me about his story made me think about what it was that could disturb a calm and collected man like Roman.

I didn't get to run my imagination as I was pulled flush into his lap which of course made me blush considering I was still new to this whole thing.

Without delay, he started with the story.

Flashback (5 Years Ago - Roman's POV)

It was the last year of my university and everything was going as planned, I was finally on the way to making a life for myself after years of struggling.

As a poor orphan child what I had dreamed of was to complete education can start a business of my own and earn a life where I never had to struggle for the necessities ever again and also find someone whom I could finally call the family of my own.

Everything was going as planned when in my life came a girl who suddenly changed my dull life with joy and happiness. I was living on cloud nine, in a world of fantasy where I foolishly thought that maybe it was the start of something beautiful in my life.

After living so long in loneliness I was desperate to find love and togetherness, that when the first opportunity I got to have a relationship with someone I gave up everything I had to her and fall in love with her, with Tanya Donovan.

Everything was great for next the two years, I had excelled at university with a perfect degree in business, had just moved to Los Angeles to work on my biggest dream, establishing a business empire of my own. THE KNIGHT INDUSTRIES.

I got so busy establishing my name thinking that she always had my back and I had someone to support me at home, waiting for me to make a life for us.

Tanya was also busy making a name for herself with my help in NY, whom I was supporting with everything I could.

What I never thought even in my dreams was, while I was making a name of my own in the world in Los Angeles, my life back home, in New York, where I had left my heart, was collapsing.

It was my 25th birthday (A/N: Roman is 28 now, I don't know if I mentioned it before or not. Also please consider him 28 years old if I did mention something else before) when I decided it would be great if I was to visit my love back home as a surprise, after around a year.

It wasn't her who was more surprised on my return, instead, it was me when I was met with a very pregnant Tanya enjoying herself with my rival in my house, in my room, on my bed.

This man, Robert Cane, was a 45 years old rich businessman, who was a well-established name in the industry and was constantly trying to bring me down.

Looking at the couple in front of me, I very well knew, it was going on for a long time. 'Tanya had been cheating on me for many months now, and also was carrying that bastard's child.'

The very day, we had a huge argument. I was heartbroken, literally crushed.

She wasn't a bit ashamed or embarrassed by what she had done, instead, I was told they had been going behind my back for around 10 months now and had a baby on the way. Her reason being, Robert was more successful and richer than me.

What was even more shocking was Robert didn't know that she was cheating on me with him, which resulted in him abandoning her then and there, along with the baby.

Looking at the situation, where she was left hanging in between now, Tanya tried convincing me to take her and her unborn child in even after what she had done. I refused.

She didn't take the refusal very well and became desperate in trying to get back to me. This constant stress and desperation of hers caused troubles in her pregnancy. It was two months later that she went into early labor. When she was taken to the hospital it was too late, both she and baby were too fragile to make it.

Robert to save his reputation and family suppressed the topic and never let it come in front of media or even the Donovan family, her younger brother Peter, who blamed me for the death of his sister.

End of Flashback (Back to Avery's POV)

It was heartbreaking to listen to Roman telling his story. I can't even imagine the amount of pain he had to suffer because of this girl. Although I feel bad for her death, what she did to him was horrible and extremely unfair.

I now understand why Roman used to hate women so much, what Tanya did ruin him, but I am very thankful and happy he could change that for me. Just thinking about him I hugged him even tighter, all while still sitting on his lap.

This caused Roman to come out of his thoughts and hug me equally tight, if not more. I know it must have been very hard for him to open about this to me after so long.

"I will understand if you hate me now that you know the truth," Roman said leaving me stunned. Why will I hate him? He did nothing wrong. So I told him just that...

"I do not hate you Roman, you did nothing wrong, anyone in your place would have done the same. It was her doing that caused her to suffer like this. Do not beat yourself about it, I am here with you, and I do not feel any different about you only more proud that you went through so much but still kept going and became so successful." I said reassuring him.

After all, even the strongest of men sometimes need help and support...