Chapter - 18

Ready to march my way towards the staircase, a sound of vibration caught my attention. With a heaving heart, I looked back towards the table where we were seated.

Scrunching up the strap of my bag on my shoulder and moving my phone which was the only source of light towards the cause of the sound, I found Vian's phone.

For a second or so, my heart was ready to come out after hearing the abrupt sound but seeing that it was just a phone eased my worries down a bit.

The phone was blinking a white light and then stopped. I took the phone in my hand and my eyes fell on the lock screen.

The black wallpaper felt null. Like an epitome of emptiness and a single drop of tear, I guessed was there towards the right side. The phone started vibrating again and a name flashed in front of my eyes. The call was from someone named "Casey🖤". Maybe she was the girl, I saw in the university library this afternoon, I thought.

Seriously, a heart?

A thought of returning his phone erupted within me but getting out of this hopeless maze was one hell of a task on priority.

I attempted to make my way towards the same stairs once again, my baby steps on each stair down the building as the only source of light was not helping me much.

Can you walk a little faster?

Nope. Period.

Taking every step like a sloth, each time a big candle found its way and uncovered the place with the same cantaloupe color which always soothes my soul. It felt like I was a princess ready to come downstairs in front of everyone.

The person lighting up the ginormous candles was talking to some people who were leaving after signing up for the day,
"We have faced a power cut after a long time. We have got the idea when earlier a light flickered, so we are prepared with the stock of candles for it. Thank you for your time and sorry for the inconvenience and trouble caused," he said bowing towards the people.

Even the light will come back, but you will reach tomorrow. Scoffs.

Mesmerized by the lighting and the heat erupted from the candlesticks, a wave of a pleasurable feeling passed through my body.

Took another step, completely forgetting the danger that could be caused, my foot instead of stepping on the wood cracked open the wooden staircase, and led my balance off.

Uh oh, the one-step Vian asked you not to take. I told you not to fall.

A light shriek escaped from my lips, being the clumsy one I knew I was, stumbled upon with my other foot and was ready to fall.

Well, it'll hurt, a lot, but you will reach down earlier than ever expected. My inner voice mocked me when I knew that I was afraid to take steps in the dark.

A hand snaked its way towards my waist, faintly touching my belly button sending shivers down my spine.

Caught by the sudden touch, I jerked back a little, my one foot still trapped in the broken staircase, my body decided to fall again, but this time backward.

The person in front of me acted upon his reflexes and caught me again from falling, this time holding my hand in his one hand and my waist again from his other one.

I moved my phone towards his face and I sighed seeing the person was none other than Vian.

Another dramatic entry, Mr. Water guy.

I looked into his dark orbs, a reflection of a lit candle flamed like fire in his eyes. His furrowed brows gave a more concerned look than I ever saw.

"Are you okay? Are you hurt? What are you doing here?" He started bombarding his questions at me one after the other, still standing in the same position.

"What are you doing here?" Instead of answering his questions, I decided to ask him one of the same.

He made me stand still and carefully pulled out my foot from there. A little scratch embarked its view to him and his face made a frown.

"I forgot my phone here, and first sit and give me the extra bandage you had," he demanded.

I tried to process his words but before that, he waved his hand in front of my face.
"Bandage, Josephine."

"Huh? Yes." I handed him his phone first and looking at the missed calls, he groaned but kept the phone in his pocket.
He applied the bandage carefully flinching at the scar.

A laugh escaped from my lips to which he made a questionable look. "What's funny?" He asked.

"When you got the paper cut and blood was all around, you didn't even care. And it's just a simple scratch and you are acting like you are hurting," I spoke the truth which I felt, literally honestly.

You are not supposed to say everything, dumb.

He cleared his throat and stated, "Let's go now and text me once you reach home."

Seeing the confused look on my face, he sent me a text message, "on this."

"You have my number?" I asked.

"Yes."

"How?" I asked.

He held my hand in his and we got up from the stairs and got out of the library maze. I couldn't help but gaze at our intertwined hands, sending sparks of electricity into my body where the whole place lacked it.

I saw a concerned Xav looking everywhere like a lost child.

I called for his name and within a stance, he looked at me and came running towards me. "Are you 12 or what? How can you get lost in a freaking library?" He asked while giving me a light hug.

"I didn't get lost, I just took time to come out," I smiled, turning my lips into a thin line.

"Whatever, you are okay is all that matters, let's go," he said and walked towards his car. I looked back but there was no sign of Vian.

"Come on Jo, let's go," Xav said igniting the engine of the car.

We reached the dormitory for me to get ready for the buzz of booze they all were excited for. I decided to leave a message, " reached :)" and started overthinking for it.

Maybe, I shouldn't have added the smiley!

It's okay, love.

─•❉᯽❉•─

A/N

Hey🦋,
So how was the chapter?

Also, if you guys want Vian's point of view, drop your views in the comments.
I'll meet you guys soon.
Bye