Chapter 14

Ace and Aedion are explaining the rules of football to me when Alaric and Arya walk in.

Noticing the lack of space for Arya on the sofa, I stand up and gather more snacks before plomping down on the beanbag chair.
It is actually much more comfortable than I thought it would be.

Arya practically beams as she sits down next to Ace while he looks like his whole world is now complete.
I wonder how long they have been together. Probably longer than I have been alive and yet, they still look madly in love.

I look away when they kiss and my eyes find Alaric who is looking at me.
Do I have something on my face?

"What are you guys talking about?" Arya asks grabbing some chips.

"Life before the uprising." Aedion answers her with his eyes glued to the screen.

"Ah, the good old days." She smiles snuggling into Ace's side.

"Ric, do you remember that time those people saw us in our lycan forms in Thailand?" She asks Alaric. What is Thailand?

"Don't remind me." Is that a smile? The Dark Prince smiles?

"What happened?" I ask needing to know what memory has them both smiling so fondly.

"Okay, so Ric and I are looking for an ancient codex in an old safehouse in Thailand. Only, when we get there, there are close to fifty rogue lycans." She starts the story,

"Wait. What are rogue lycans?" I cannot say I have ever heard of them.

"Lycans whose paramours died." Alaric answers.
Okay. I am still confused.

"For Lycans, paramours are life and death. If our paramours die, we lose our minds. All that is left is our animalistic side; we go ballistic, killing anything in sight." Ace explains.

That sounds awful.

"Which is why, if a lycan's paramour dies, they are also killed." What?!
I mean, it makes sense, but still. Harsh.

"Then how did fifty rogue lycans survive and in one place. Wouldn't they just kill each other?" This story definitely has my attention now.

"Exactly. For some reason they weren't killing each other, but damn did they go crazy when they saw us." Arya continues.

"Back then I was not nearly as good a fighter as I am now so we had to change into lycan form. One managed to bypass Ric and come at me so I did the only thing I was good at and ran. Problem is, I was not thinking and ran towards a village."
I do not like the way she puts herself down and based on the narrowing of Ace's eyes and the way his arms tightened around her, he caught it too.

"Of course Ric saved me, but there were four villagers closeby who witnessed everything."

Oh, no. "And then what happened?"

"Fortunately, two of them were witches and the other two already knew about the supernatural world." That was fortunate.

"The witches were not happy with us though. One of them cast some spell that made our entire bodies itch like crazy. I literally ran into the village, butt naked and jumped into the river." I am already laughing at the picture.

Imagine those poor villagers.

"The river was half a meter deep." Alaric adds and I double over.

"Oh, I would have paid to see that." I wheez in between laughs.

"I can laugh now. I swear, witches." She shakes her head with a small smile.

"Do you remeber that witch that turned Ace's manhood into stone?" Aedion asks next and I am dying.