Chapter 47

"Was that dangerous?" The deep timbre of my favourite voice sounds.

I look down, and there he is, hand still locked with mine. His hair flows beautifully in the wind as his face stares back at me. No, not his face. His entire being is focused solely on me.

Wait, am I levitatating?
It's been so long.

But none of that matters. I allow myself to descend until we are face level, which still feels funny. I am used to looking up at him.

"You are beautiful." Shit, did I just say that? I guess the new powers don't come with a filter either.

In my defence, have you seen him?

Absolutely beautiful.

He takes a step towards me making my heart beat erratically. The thread is growing exponentially right now. I can feel it as I look into his eyes. Black diamonds.
My eyes slip briefly to his lips when I feel his on mine.

Kiss me already.

As if he heard my silent plea, he does just that. Our lips connect and everything else melts away. My mind clears and all I can do is feel. Feel him. Feel us. Feel what he cannot tell me. Feel the moment.

He feels like home.

"How do you feel?" He asks searching my face as my feet touch the ground.

"Great. I had forgotten how different it feels. I feel so powerful." I feel indestructible.

"How would you classify your current mental state?" I try not to laugh at his genuine question. It is a legitimate question too.

How would I classify my current mental state?
"Intoxicated." I answer honestly. The power is starting to get to my head.

"Well, I have good news for you." That gets my attention.
"No more fight training for you."

Yes! Thank the heavens.

"How do witches train?" He asks looking genuinely interested.

"I don't know about witches in covens. For me, I simply feel my magic and learn what it is capable of." I try to explain and note how he looks away slightly. Something he does when he is trying to make sense out of a statement. Then I remember how she explained it.

"Think of magic like a person. The more time you spend with them, the more you get to know them naturally. However, by asking questions and truly paying attention to them, the better you get to know them. You learn their strengths, their weaknesses, their personality, character, likes, dislikes, motivations, everything. And like any true friend or family member, you make each other better." She really tailored it to me, didn't she?

"Right now my magic is like a person I just met. We need to get to know each other."

"It is astounding just how little is known about witchcraft." He muses.

"To you. Witches know a crap ton about witchcraft. Imagine a friend you have known for millenia."

"I am confused." He states trying to process it all.

How do I explain this? "Do you have to think before changing forms? Or using your supernatural strength or senses?"

"No, it is instinctual."

"Exactly!" He still looks confused.
I am shit at explaining.

"For the most part magic is instinctual. Like throwing a punch. What we learn is kind of like the technique." I hope that makes sense.

"How do you learn these techniques?" I love how interested he is in trying to understand my new reality.

"By getting to know your friend."

"I am lost once more." Damn! Okay, I need to try to tailor this to him. What does Alaric like doing?

"You know how understanding the different muscle groups and physiology of our bodies helps you perfect your fighting technique?" He can go on an hour long rant about it.

He nods slowly.

"I have to understand the nature and limits of my magic, the way you understand the nature and limits of your body."

He continues nodding.

"Most witches simply learn the moves and stances since witches thousands of years ago already learnt their magic. But with me and the advent of a new magic, I have to start from scratch."

"Does that put you at a disadvantage against other witches?"

"In a way. I have to work harder than they do, especially at the beginning. But they simply memorise and practice spells where I develop my own. The way you created your own fighting style.

I assume it took you longer and a lot more effort, but you understand the physiology and mechanics of every technique. You can even make snap judgements and adapt when necessary. It makes you a better fighter."

"It took me decades to do that." He points out.

"Exactly. That is where my disadvantage comes in." The only reason I defeated other witches before was the element of surprise and raw power. I was lucky more than anything.
If it came down to it, I would be child's play for a more powerful, more experienced witch.

"It sounds like you should remain behind once the war begins." Really? Does he really think I'm just going to stay behind?

"Don't worry about me. I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but when it comes to magic, I'm something of a prodigy." He does not look convinced.

"Besides. You're going to be up against another witch and heavens only knows what else. I can be combat ready in less than half a year. Hopefully." I add. From the sounds of it this witch is going to be a big problem, even for me.

"How can I trust you not to endanger your life again?"

"You really can't. But I'm still alive and I got something out of it each time. You should have a little more faith in me." Clearly, I'm not meant to die just yet.

"It defies logic how you have survived so long." He sighs making me laugh.
I can feel his overwhelming concern for me and it makes me feel weird.

"I'll try not to endanger myself as long as you do the same." I offer to ease his worries.

"I am not convinced you could even if you tried." He responds in a tone that makes me feel like I am being scolded.

"I totally could!" I am not incompetent.

"So, you mean to tell me you willingly choose to endanger your life then?"

"Yes?" It comes out as more of a question as I realise what I am saying. I really do live dangerously. One of these days my luck will run out.

"Tell you what, I will prove it to you. I can be extremely responsible. Not to forget I was a wildling essentially all of my life. I was born a survivor."

"Even so, you will remain under constant supervision until such a date as you have proved yourself."

"What? You can't do that. I'm not a child!" Constant supervision? What does that even mean?

"No, but you are a danger to yourself."

"I hate to break it to you, but none of you have ever stopped me before." I point out.
I was with all of them this last time.

"True. But if you do not convince us you are not a danger to yourself, you are not going anywhere."

Shit.

The next few months are going to suck.