Chapter 59

Safe.

When was the last time I felt safe? Probably before my parents died. But in Alaric's arms, safe and loved are all I feel. I missed him. Has it really only been a day? It feels like I have not seen him in months.

"You're getting blood all over her fancy dress." I have never been so happy to have him interrupt another moment between Alaric and I. But that happiness is short lived when I see how bad his condition is.
Shit.

How is he standing?

"Did you bring my tonics?" I don't know how they will affect him, but it can't hurt to try.

"Dawn has them." Alaric nods.
"She went in the castle to look for you." Ah, of course.

"Well, call her back. There are quite a few injured fighters here." What is he waiting for?

His lips quirk in a small smile before all of the lycans on the battlefield can move again.

"Alright, fighting over. And I mean it. Anyone who so much as lifts their hand against someone else will be imprisoned.

Create a healing area for the gravely injured. Every injured. I do not care which side they fought on.

Others gather the dead. They will be buried tomorrow." I say as I look over at her body. It is a shame she cannot be buried with the others.

The lycans all look between each other and back at me confusedly.

"Did I stutter? Move!" What are they waiting for?
They finally start moving, although, much slower than I would like.

Renho picks up her katana and fresh rage takes over me. She did it. She killed her. She literally stabbed her in the back.

I notice Renho narrow her eyes at me before prince Braeden steps in front of her.

No. No more fighting. I cannot tell the others not to fight, then turn around and kill her.

I turn around towards the castle where I see princess Dawn heading over with a small blonde girl.

The girl pauses when she sees the carnage of the battle field and I can see the tears begin to fill her big brown eyes.
Her scent reaches me and I smile.

A healer witch.

Only she looks terrified.

"What is your name?" I ask her walking over towards her.

"You're a witch!" She exclaims utterly surprised.

"That witch is the lycan queen." I hear Prince Braeden say and roll my eyes. I balk when I notice Princess Dawn did too.

"Your majesty. I am so sorry." She curtsies. Uhmm, okay. This is strange.

"Your name?" I ask as gently as I can when I notice her trembling.

"I am Vera Petazi, healer to the lycan royals, your majesty." She states rather bashfully.

"I am sorry you had to see this, Vera. I know it must hurt to see such waste of life." I look around at all of the fresh corpses.
Healers are very sensitive to death. Especially the younger ones.
She looks like she is still too young to serve at any court.

"We're preparing a tent. And I have a few tonics. Please just do what you can."
Big brown eyes regard me with shock and curiosity before filling with determination.
I watch as she grabs my tonic bag from Princess Dawn before walking over to Aedion.

"Rest him on his back." She instructs to the lycans supporting him as she takes out my bottles and inspects them.

Not too far off, I notice two lycans reach for her body.