Chapter 22

"Why did you leave last night?" I finally ask him.

It was mortifying. I actually believed that we were going to have sex. I was definitely more than ready and could feel how much he wanted it.
Then he just left.
Leaving me confused and frustrated.

"It was not right."

"That's it? That's all you're going to give me?" He has to be joking.

"I do not sleep with a woman without having a conversation with her." Does he think that clarifies things?

"We have talked many times." I remind him.

"A very specific conversation." I notice him doing that thing with his hands again. He is also trying very hard not to look at me.

"Then let's have that conversation." I insist pulling out a chair from the oval table.

He pulls out a chair closer to the door and takes a seat looking uncomfortable. Good. I want him to squirm like I did.

I put the chair back and walk over to the one next to him. Taking my seat, I lean back crosding my legs facing him.

"Talk."

"First, I want to be sure you want to go through with this. I cannot promise you a future, I do not want any emotions involved. This is just physical." He starts as if he has said this a thousand times before.

"No." That takes him by surprise.
"This is why you left? You wanted to make sure I knew you did not feel anything for me? I already know that."

"I need to be certain you want to have sex with me and do not feel pressured or coerced in any way. Next, I need to know your expectations so there are no miscommunications here. So none of us are disappointed."

I hate to admit it, but that makes sense, I guess. In fact it is quite admirable.

Some supernaturals do not care for humans' feelings. The strong take what they want, consent be damned.

I was once almost a victim. Almost. I still remember how terrified I was. How little I felt. It was scarring.
In a way, it is why I like to be in charge, so I never have to feel that way again. So I have the control.

So yes, I would rather a man stop everything to make sure I am okay than go through that again.

"I understand. So I will be perfectly clear; I want to have sex with you." His muscles tense and his breathing changes.

Good. So I do have an effect on you. I was beginning to wonder if I was going crazy.

He cranes his neck and I cannot resist my smirk.

"Up next is limitations." What? There is more? I cannot help the groan that escapes me. What happened to good old fashioned sex, without a fucking contract.

A fucking contract.

"How about I'll just tell you if I don't like what you're doing? This is kind of taking the fun out of sex and I never thought I would say that."

He takes a deep breath before meeting my gaze.
"Lust is like a drug that clouds the mind. That combined with your submissive nature..."

"I don't have a submissive nature." What is he on about?

"You do."

"Uh, I know myself pretty well. Trust me, I am not submissive." What on Earth would make him think I am submissive?

He raises a disbelieving brow at me and I meet his gaze straight on. A submissive person would look away from the more dominant being, but I have never been submissive.
I only look away because a human who can meet a lycan's gaze would attract too many questions.

"Stand up."

I stand still staring directly into his eyes.

"Why did you just stand?"

"You asked me to." Shit. I see what he just did there.

"You are a natural submissive; a little jaded, a lot mistrusting." I'm still confused. Since when am I submissive? I don't even like man on top.

"You are a people pleaser. It is one of your sweeter characteristics. And I know people have taken advantage of it before." I can feel myself clamp up, "It is obvious that you have been hurt." Okay how the fuck does he know all of this. Does he know? "But you cannot change who you are. No matter how hard you try."

I may be a little distracted, but I catch the deep meaning in his last statement.

"What did you try to change?" I am hoping I am right. Otherwise this will be super embarrassing.

"Everything." Everything?

"Who hurt you?" There is a deep sadness to the dark prince. Sadness I somehow relate to.

"Who hurt you?" He asks me back.

Dammit. I have no right to ask that of him when I have so many secrets of my own.

A pregnant pause ensues, each of us taking in the magnitude of everything left unsaid. We have both been hurt, we both do not trust. In a way, we are two too damaged souls, bound to darkness.

Logically, it might be best we walk away from each other. Without the matebond, we are a disaster waiting to happen. We are too similar yet too different.

But I know, with everything in me, I know; Alaric Aureus is worth it all.

"A lot of people have hurt me, starting with the scum that killed my parents. Then the so-called leaders of the time. Afterward, I put my trust in the wrong people and they betrayed me completely. Too many people have used me then hurt me." I spill desperately holding back the tears threatening to well up. The knot in my throat and sting in my eyes warn me I am failing.

I put my trust in the wrong people and was repeatedly burned. Never again.

"People hate me." Alaric interrupts my wallowing.
"For as long as I can remember. I always seem to make everyone angry. Even my family. Dawn might be the most vocal about it, but they all hate me. I don't even know how I became known as the dark prince, especially when I have devoted my life to serving the crown and my family. It hurt. It still does." His confession hits me right in the chest. I can practically feel my heart bleeding.

I knew it.

I have seen evil and Alaric is not evil. He is simply misunderstood. Different.

"Do not feel too sorry for me. I have Ace, Arya and Aedion. That is two more people than you do." I cannot help my smile at his words.

"I have one more person out there." Somewhere.

"Your brother?" He remembers?

"Yeah. I have no idea where he is or what type of man he grew up to be. He might hate me for all of the mistakes I've made. But for so long it was him and I against the world. He has never let me down and I still trust him." Even if he ran a dagger through my heart, I would trust that he had a good reason for it.

"He is your younger brother, isn't he?" I nod.

"How did you know?"

"I have younger siblings of my own." I knew it. In his own way, he does love them.

"I'm starting to think fate knew what she was doing pairing us together."

----------------------------------------------
So they are finally starting to open up to each other. Thoughts?