Chapter 33

This is it. It does not take a genius to tell.

After I gave my testimony, the trial continued in my absence. I have no idea why.
Ace occassionally came in to check on me, but he would not tell me anything.

Today they dressed me up in a black latex bustier with a matching fringe skirt. An outfit very similar to what I wore to the nymph auction that night.

My hair is still in the dutch braids Alaric braided and I am sure my face is the definition of determination.

Mama said if you are going to war, never doubt yourself. Be sure in what you are fighting for. I am fighting for my place in this world. Something I shouldn't even need to fight for.

"Nova-Cielle Vermillion," the lycan king is the first to speak.
"I do not believe that any of us expected the revelations of this trial." I am sure you did not.

"As much as we all looked forward to killing you, I must admit, I cannot find just cause."

I'm sorry, what? Did I hear that right? They are not going to kill me? I don't have to fight them?

Fucking hell, I'm absolved. I can't believe it. I mean, I knew it was possible after all the testimonies, but still.
I'm innocent.

I let out a large exhale and can feel myself smiling. I'm free.

By the heavens, I am finally free.

My eyes scan the crowd until they meet cold black ones. I am not surprised to see him, I could feel him in the room. I am surprised at the jolt to my system when our eyes meet.

The fuck?

"However," wait, did this vampire just say "however"? I turn my attention back to these "kings". Try me, bitches.

"You have repeatedly shown concerning contempt for this court and our governance as a whole."

Concerning. Really?

"Even in your current state, your vast knowledge and legion of powerful friends make you a threat." His beloved continues.

You have got to be kidding me.

They are all glaring at me and I realise I may have said that out loud.

"No one is kidding you." The merfolk guardian scowls my way.

"While we cannot justify executing or imprisonimg you, you are too much of a risk to allow to go unchecked."

Heavens give me strength not to kill the lycan queen. Then they'd definitely have a reason to kill me.

"The typical solution in such cases is to join you to a court."

Fuck no!

"But since you are for all purposes human, you cannot join any supernatural court."

Fuck yes!!

I would rather be out in the wildlands than their stupid fucking courts.

"With that in mind, we only have two choices to offer you." Bidi says and I want to strangle him.

So these fuckers admit that I am innocent but somehow I am still not free? The fuck is that?

"The sorceress supreme has graciously offered to allow you to join her personal maidens." The vampire queen informs me.

"I would rather die." And I mean it.

A cruel smile forms on the vampire queen's face.

"Your other option is to live out the rest of your life under human jurisdiction." She smiles maniacally.