Chapter 17

Alaric

She never ceases to amaze me. Not when she cussed out at a room full of powerful lycans, nor when she faced Ezekiel without an ounce of fear. Nebula continues to surprise me.

Today, she insisted I train her.
She swapped out her long colourful dresses for purple tights that cling to her long legs and round ass, and a tight black tank top.

It was always obvious-even in her loose dresses-that she was in incredible shape, but now... she is the ultimate test of my self-control.

She is also weak.

I have always known humans were weak, but I never saw just how weak they are compared to us. She could barely run two klicks and that is the start of my warm up.

How has she survived as long as she has being so weak? Valdus must be an excellent protector.

As if I am not in enough pain, she takes off her soaked tank top and tosses it aside after her crunch reps.

I have seen many women in various states of undress and have always admired the female form. But Nebula is on a league of her own.
Her golden sweaty skin looks perfectly soft covering her surprisingly toned physique. The muscle definition on her abs is subtle, but present and her arms are extremely toned.

My eyes travel to the swell of her breasts in that purple bra and my mouth waters.
Fucking hell, I have never seen anything more perfect.
Everything about her is calling out my name, tempting me to touch, to give in.

It would be incredibly easy to give in too. I have noticed- even without the matebond, spending time with her is easy lately.

No longer do my words anger her, if anything they seem to amuse her.
Earlier, she even listened to me rant on the muscle groups of her perfect ass and their functions.
She laughed, but it wasn't in the derisive way most do, it was lighthearted and full of mirth.

It is becoming surprisingly enjoyable talking to her or simply being around her. Even the rest of my pack love her. How could they not? She is as caring as she is spunky. She wears her heart on her sleeve and wields a sword in her hand. The woman has a lot of secrets, but is as honest as they come.

And she has no filter sometimes.

"You know, I might be more motivated to continue if you took your shirt off." There it is.

I look over at her lying on the ground taking deep breaths. Her skin is even more golden and drenched in sweat. She looks exactly as she does in my dreams after I fuck her senseless.
My already hard dick is throbbing now.

"That is enough for today." Probably more than enough. I can tell that she has pushed past her limits today.

"It better be. I have never been so sore in my life."

"You should stretch out your muscles." She will probably also need an ice bath.
So will I with the way I am heating up from just looking at her.

"Fucking hell, I can't even get up." She wheezes after a pathetic attempt.

Deciding to 'motivate' her, I take off my shirt. Her sky-blue eyes fixate on my torso and her puils dilate as she takes me in. The smell of her arousal permeates through the air and I realise, I am only torturing myself.

"If you weren't such an asshole, we could have a lot of fun." The glint in her eyes makes my dick twitch.

As angelic as she may appear, Nebula is a little devil in disguise. She lives to taunt me with what could have been, as if it does not already plague my mind. As if I have not imagined ravaging her until her throat is hoarse from screaming my name nightly.

But I see her. I see the darkness in those breathtaking eyes of hers. I see the light she hides behind layers of snark and sass. Nebula feels everything deeply. She easily forms attachments and she loves with everything that she has. You can see it when she talks about her family, or when she teases Valdus. Even in her constant selflessness.

Which means, she does not get annoyed, she gets furious. She does not dislike, she hates. And the guilt she tries to bury eats away at her soul.

"Do you think he ever.. would he rape them? The women he takes?" It is not fear that makes her voice shake, rather a heavy sorrow settling deep in her bones. I saw it as she read their files. It was not passing pity, it was grief. Grief for girls she did not even know.

"Maybe." It is possible that he does. Who knows how his sick mind works?

"Maybe I should stick a cactus up his ass." The darkness within her is back.

"There are devices specifically for such cases that will work much better than a cactus." She looks at me surprised before laughing.

Do I tell her I was not joking?

No. Not when she is laughing like that.

Once again I am struck by her effervescent beauty. Everything about her is stunning. From her large sky-blue eyes contrasting her caramel skin, to her slightly wide nose. Her lips were made to be kissed and her smile is like the fucking sun.
Even her hair. The deep rich dark brown spirals are insanely beautiful.

Nebula has the type of beauty that could bring men to their knees. Including me. And her laugh has quickly become one of my favourite sounds.

"What other "devices" do you have?" Her hooded eyes and smirk make me believe she is once more flirting with me.

"I do not own any. Believe me, I do not need them." I have always found such things much too simple. People today are much too reliant on modern technology. Even supernaturals. If I want to hurt a man, all I need is a knife.
And if I want to please a woman, no tools are necessary.
I have never understood the appeal of such devices. They feel lazy. And I certainly would never use them of Nebula.

Does she use them?

"I think I am going to die here." She pants looking up to the sky.

Why would she think that? Is it her clairvoyance? Or fear?

"This is why I hate exercise." She continues.
Oh, she is just exaggerating again.

"I hate cooking." Striking blue eyes look at me with curiosity.

"Let's strike a deal. You fight the bad guys and I'll cook for you." She offers with a small smile.

I would fight the world for that smile.
Fuck! This is why I did not want to be the one guarding her.

"We go our seperate ways after this. Do not forget that." I certainly cannot.

Her smile falls and she looks away from me.

"I know."

Good. It is better we are both clear on this moving forward. I do not want to get her hopes up.

Or mine.

"Besides, you could not handle me." That insolent smirk is back on her face and I feel myself stir. The increasingly familiar feeling reserved only for her surfaces. I want to push it back down and allow it free reign all at once.

"I know how to handle a brat." I tell her in no uncertain words.

"Maybe. But you couldn't handle me."
I have to walk away before I do something I shouldn't. I can hear her cackle as I leave.

Brat.

She better not forget to stretch. I'll have Arya check on her later.

"She's something else, isn't she?" Aedion appears by my side.
That she is.

"Shouldn't you be hunting?" Why is he here?

"We found something." And of course he is the first one back.

"You were right. It appears William is working with your uncle." I hoped I was wrong.

I can hear Ace and Arya in the distance.
Good.
We need to prepare for war.

-------------------------------------------
Finally, a look through Alaric's point of view.

Thoughts?