Chapter 40

Alaric is usually a rather stoic creature, but I am learning to read him.

It helps that we are now bonded.
Using the pack bond, I focus in on him and what he is feeling.

Pain.

You know how I said I am learning to read him? Scratch that. I am not seeing any signs of pain.

"You want me to mark you?" Wait. I can hear it though, in his voice. Why is he in pain?

"I cannot do that." Huh?

"We need to talk." Talk? What do we need to talk about?

I swear if I hear one more thing about him being king I will rip his balls off and shove them down his throat.

Heavens, I miss the days when I could actually do that.

I follow Alaric away from the training field into the woods around us.

Did I mention that we moved? We are now in Alaric's home. It is a gigantic piece of land which is mostly natural vegetation. There are a few rustic cabins, a training ground, a gorgeous lake (Yes, I mean a fucking lake!) And a beautiful mansion.
It is absolutely fucking stunning and I can see myself living here.
This is where the A-pack lives most of the time that they are not working.

I wince as my side starts giving me problems, bringing Alaric to a halt.
"You are in pain." He states turning around to look at me. Is it that obvious?

"I just died, a bunch of times, of course I'm in pain. It would be more surprising if I wasn't." I point out.

"Would you like for me to carry you?"

"That's an option?" He nods. "Then fuck yes. The real question is why have you been letting me walk all along." Honestly. He clearly doesn't know how to treat a lady.

I am whisked off my feet and snuggled up against Alaric's chest in no time at all as we are now sprinting through the forest.

He tries to put me down, but I cling to him like a koala.
"We can talk like this." I insist too comfortable to move. Something about being in his arms, snuggled up against him feels too good to let go.

His chest rumbles with a silent chuckle and I grin looking up at him. Fuck, he is so beautiful.

"My feet are simply too precious to touch the ground. From now on you are to carry me everywhere." I joke in my best posh accent.

"Yes, ma'am."

His smile is so beautiful I could cry.

He sits down against a tree and I nestle into him, preparing myself for whatever it is he has to say.

"I am sorry."

Say what now?

"I often accuse you of moving too fast when I am guilty of doing the same. I am used to giving directions. Aedion, Arya and Ace do as I say without question, but you and I have not built that trust yet.
I will endeavour to communicate better."

My heart. This man.

"Thank you. That is all I ask." I smile pressing my cheek against his chest.

"However,"

Oh shit. I knew it was too good to be true.

"I have my limitations. I do not understand a lot of what people say, I have no sense of humour, I do not understand social cues, I am not very good at non verbal communication either." Hmm.
"People confound me. I generally do not understand the way the mind works. I do not like to be touched, I have a difficult time identifying or comprehending emotions and sometimes I need to be alone."