Epilogue

Home.

For so long, home was nothing but a memory. It feels great to have a home again.

It has been a month since Prince Alastair's trial. The trial that rocked the shifter community to it's core. The truths of the royal family completely exposed. Many were furious. As usual, Alaric bore the brunt of the hatred. Some were furious with his decision to let Prince Alastair live and serve as a royal advisor. Others were angry with him for the jobs he has taken on his father's command over the years. Even more were furious that he led hundreds of soldiers to their death over a pointless family dispute.
There were murmurs of rebellion which Alaric had to dispel with a brutal display of power forcing them all to their knees as he tore apart a bear that challenged him.
Even so, he had to step down from his role as king as "atonement" for his "rash and reckless actions". It was hard for me to keep a straight face for that.

And if you think this only affected shifters then you are dumber than I am.
Especially when the vampire king demanded a trial of kings.

Did I mention that Zeke was the new vampire king? Well, temporarily. Zeke-the usurper, slaughtered all of the vampire royals, save for one, a baby who he claims will someday inherit the throne.
As one of Alastair's allies, he pushed for the forgotten prince to get the justice he deserved. Who knew Zeke had a loyal bone in him?

The merfolk are furious. Alastair had been working with the failed merfolk rebels and his very breath seemed to insult their guardian. I was half expecting him to attack him right in the middle of court.
While the rebellion failed, it is alleged that many died, and the merfolk kingdom is destabilised.

The witches were more curious than anything. Of course they were upset to hear that the former lycan king had ordered the murder of a wildling witch, but their curiosity about her far outweighed anything else. I should have known.

After all the politics and drama that preceded the war, it is heavenly to be back home.

"You know, I wouldn't have made you those damn sandwiches if I knew you were going to force me to do this every week." Alaric grumbles.

"You'll live." I shrug because I know he is just grumpy today. He has been for the past three days.

"And they call me heartless." I find myself smiling at that. If only they knew.

"Well you did make me walk all the way up here." I pout. Typically, he carries me, like he did that first time, but he does not want to be touched today.

"I will never get over this view." I say heading over to the edge of the cliff. From here, most of our home is visible, and it is beautiful. Not just because of the gorgeous landscape, but because of what this place means to me. To us.

A place where we can escape the world and feel free to completely be ourselves without fear of judgement or shame. A haven. A home.

Just like that little cottage in the middle of nowhere.

"This is the part where you say it is beautiful, but looking at me instead of the view." I spin around sassing, but lose my footing.

I fall backwards over the cliff and for a second, all I see is blue.

Some people may think my eyes are sky blue, but they haven't seen Kai's. It is as though the entire sky, with all it's mysteries and beauty, was captured in his eyes. You cannot help but be enchanted as you look into them.

I'm waiting, Kai.

"Blayze!" He is there in an instant, and I feel his arm wrap around me while the other grips onto the hillside.
His frantic breath hits my neck and I can hear his heart beat out of whack.