Chapter 38

Fucking hell. I feel like death. Heavens have mercy on me.
I try to open my eyes only to be blinded by light. The pain hitting all the way to the back of my head.

That does it. I'm done. I'm just going to lie here until I die.

Wait?
I try once more to open my eyes and it happens again. The third time is the charm. I finally succeed in opening my eyes and am met with the view of the night sky.

Simply stunning.

An owl passes through my line of vision carrying a baby gopher. Wait, how can I see that?
I focus in on the stars and I can see them with amazing clarity. How are they so beautiful?

I have my supernatural senses back. Only they are amplified times a thousand. I could never see, or hear, or smell this clearly even at my strongest.
One scent overpowers the rest. I search the sky until I find it. The moon.
Only only a tiny slither is visible. And there is something off with it.

It all begins to make sense when I feel the wave of heat and nerves come over me. It is such an odd mixture of excitement and anxiety, anticipation and trepidation, awareness and oblivion, electricity crackling across my skin, and calm waves cooling my insides.

I try to stand but gravity has other plans. What happened to me? I feel like I got trampled by a herd of elephants.

"Take it easy." Ohhh, mama. We need to talk about this lycan's voice. I swear it gets me every time. And when he kneels beside me, intense black eyes staring at me as if I am the sun, moon and stars, I feel a peace I have never felt before.

"Water." I look down and notice the bottle in his hand. Suddenly, I will die if I don't get any water in me.

He puts his arm around me and helps me into an almost sitting position before bringing the water to my lips. I gulp it down greedily.

Only once I am sated do my memories return.
The blood.
It must have made me sick. Typical. I wonder how long I've been out. And where are we?

"Are you naked?" I croak out when I look back at him. Not that I'm complaining. In fact, why am I still dressed? My eyes feast on the smooth expanse of bronze skin over taut muscles. A perfect male specimen if I have ever seen one and I have seen a lot.
I am suddenly parched.
Honestly, those abs should be illegal and those arms are weapons of mass destruction.

Speaking of weapons of mass destruction, holy shit! What the fuck is that? And he's not even hard.
There is suddenly too much moisture in my mouth. Maybe it's a good thing we didn't sleep together. There is no way I could handle that.

What am I saying? Have I forgotten who I am? I never back down from an honest challenge. Where there's a will, there's a way, and there is definitely a will. Without a doubt.

"Some things remain unchanged." Alaric mutters and when I look up, I see a small smile softening his entire face and setting my insides ablaze.

Put a baby in me already.

Wait, can we even have babies? Interspecies matings are rare. Almost unheard of. I know next to nothing about them starting families. Do I even want to be a mother?

"Do you want to be a dad?" The question visibly takes him by surprise. The smile that follows is priceless. Heavens, the things he makes me feel.

"No." My heart is crushed. Obliterated.

"W-w-why not?" The tears come unbided.
I mean, I hadn't given it much thought, but I would like to be a mom. One day. Eventually.

"Hybrid babies are extraordinarily rare. In most cases, pregnancies end in miscarriage or stillborns. In cases where babies are born, few survive infancy."

No.
This is just incredibly unfair. Everything is. Can't I ever catch a break? The tears fall, but I do not have it in me to cry out.
Why? What did I do to deserve all of this? Does fate hate me?

At some point, it's all too much.

"Do you think some people were just meant to be miserable?" There is no other explanation. I try to wipe the tears from my face, but more make the trail down my cheek.
Stupid tears. One day I'm going to run out.

"Possibly." His answer deflates me even more, but it is the truth.
"You are not one of them." What?

I look at him through teary eyes. Somehow, even the blurry blob of him is still gorgeous.

"You have too much life in you. Too much heart. When you are down, you are all the way in the pits, but then something good happens, no matter how small, and you lift yourself back up. You soar higher than any of us." More tears come. How is he so sweet and yet such an asshole all at once?

"Get some rest." It is as if I was waiting to hear those words. Fatigue settles deep and I drift away into the sweet oblivion of sleep.

¤¤¤¤

"Did you mark her?" Who is yelling this early in the morning. Shut up.

"No." Mmmmh.

"How is this possible?" My head begins pounding as I realise that they are never going to let me sleep.

"Nebs, if you don't open your eyes this second I'm going to tell everyone about the time we met the kitsune in Tokyo."

What? Fuck no.

My eyes shoot open to be met by one of my favourite faces beaming at me.

"You stupid fucking bitch, don't ever scare me like that again." I can barely process his words as he is squeezing the life out of me.

"Let go." The growl in Alaric's command has Valdus letting go of me immediately.
Making me fall and hit my head. Wait, why is it so soft?

"Sorry. So fucking sorry. Are you alright? Do you need anything?" Valdus starts fussing.

As if sensing my needs, Alaric hands me another bottle of water. This time I drink it slower.

"It's good to see you up." Ace smiles affectionately at me from beside the bed.

"Don't ever do anything stupid like that again!" Despite her screech, the tears in Arya's eyes let me know how happy she is.

Why is everyone acting like I came back from the dead? Dramatic much?

"How long was I out?" I do not recognise my voice. I clear my throat before drinking a little more water. Damn, I feel tired.

"Six fucking weeks!" Valdus informs me.

Oh. Their reactions suddenly make sense. Six weeks?

I get a feeling that makes me shoot off the bed. Everything hurts, but I am too excited to care. Placing my palm on Arya's lower belly, I focus until I feel something.

A boy.

Arya's eyes widen with realisation.

"How far?" Ace's voice is thick with emotion as he wraps an arm around his paramour.

"Six weeks." They must not have noticed because they were so stressed about me.

"I'm pregnant?" The question is softer than I knew Arya could speak. My words failing me, I grin and nod.

The two look at each other with nothing but love and joy in their gazes before they embrace.
"We're going to have a baby." Is what I think I hear Ace whisper to her, engulfing her in a warm hug.

This moment is so pure and so precious, I can feel the collective happiness in the room. It wraps around us all like a warm snuggly blanket on a cold winter night.

Until I remember that I will never have this.
I feel Alaric's gaze and turn to look at him. For some reason, he feels a little upset too. Just another experience we will never have.

But as I look back at Arya and Ace, and everyone around us. It doesn't hurt as much.

----------------------------------------------
Did you guys really think I would kill off Nebula?

She is awake and the same as ever. With a bit of good news this chapter.

Thoughts?