Chapter 56

"What?" There is no way I heard him correctly.

"Killing my paramour." He repeats blankly. "What is it you witches call them? A fated? He killed my fated."

"Your brother killed your fated." I repeat slowly still trying to process this.

"Yes." He affirms.
I do not believe I am comprehending.

"W-w-why?" That is the worst thing you could do to anyone.

Servers come in with plates and put them directly in front of us. Once again, I notice the other place setting.

"Where is she?" I hear Alastair ask one of the servers who shrugs.

"I guess we'll have to start without her." He sighs picking up his fork and beginning to eat his salad.

I watch him curiously. I thought lycans become feral after their paramour dies. How is he still normal? Did he throw himself into his work like Ace's mom? Is it some type of magic?

"You are not eating, dear. Trust me, the dressing is magnificent." He comments when he notices my untouched plate.

"Nova was never the trusting type." My heart sinks at the familiar voice.

It is her.

"You are late." Alastair says to her as she pulls out her chair and takes her seat.

"I am aware." She responds coldly.

"Well, well, well. If it isn't she-who-shall-not-be-named?" It really is her. I can hardly believe it.

"It has been a long time, Nova." She still looks the same.

No. No, she does not. There is something different that I cannot put my finger on.

"Decades, really, since you abandoned us." Do I sound bitter? It's because I am.

"It could not be helped." She claims looking away from me. Her obvious tell.

"At least do not insult me, by lying to me." I am not a little girl anymore.

"I truly hoped you were not the witch he was working with, but it appears I was in denial." I confess looking around the giant room.

"And you joined a pack of lycans. Imagine my disappointment." She counters.

"A haven." I correct ignoring the sting her words caused.

"A joke is what it is." She fires back.

"At least they haven't abandoned me yet. I must be getting better at picking my company."

The table is silent afterwards as she and I glare at each other.
This isn't the woman I knew. Was it all just an act?

"I feel like I am missing something." Alastair interrupts.

It is okay... It is not my fault.
It is not my fault she left.
I am not that naive girl again.

"I met Nova when she was nothing but a lost little girl." I audibly scoff at that.
"I trained her. Gave her the tools to unleash her full potential. Taught her about the dangers of magic."

"So you were her teacher?"

"Yes." She answers the prince's question.

"Until you left without warning." I remind her.

It was crushing. After losing our parents, then escaping being used as lab rats, we had finally found someone. No, she did not take us in or anything. Although, she did often bring us food.
I was beginning to trust her. And then she taught me our final lesson; Every witch for her fucking self.