Chapter 30

Some of the older witches look aghast, but everyone else looks confused.

"What is a Merrymagical?" I giggle at the way the lycan queen butchered the name. A merrymagical? Really

"The Mori-Magika is one of the worst witch punishments there is. It robs you of all magic, taking away our powers, heightened senses, healing, it even blocks the thread of fate. You become a human in every sense of the word." Yep.

The death of magic.

"But it is an ancient spell requiring a ridiculous amount of magic that can only be cast by a sorceress supreme. The last sorcerer supreme died before he could teach my predecessor how to cast it. How did you learn that ancient magic?" Her tone is accusing.

"I'm just that awesome." I immediately hiccup after saying that.

"One question, please. Does the truth potion affect humans different than witches?" Arya asks.

"You are so smart. Isn't she so smart?" I hiccup again, "You are just annoyingly smart and funny and strong, and so fucking gorgeous, and nice. I wish I was smart like you. Instead, I am as drunk as sunflower seeds in water right now. Wait, sunflower seeds?" It can't be sunflower seeds. Then what was I going to say?

Seeds. Water. Drunk.
Seeds. Water. Drunk.
Wine.
No seeds. The ones that make plants.

Wait. Are seeds like plant eggs? But they're so small.

"Chia!" It's chia seeds in water.

"Someone get her a clarity potion." Isla sighs.

"Potion? So Karlous can try to kill me again? No, thank you." I'm not that drunk. Am I?

"Those are some serious accusations against a very powerful witch elder." Isla glares at me.

"And that is a very serious stick up your virgin ass. You should have started with a butt plug or something smaller, maybe then y'all could loosen the fuck up." This whole thing is stupid.

"I rid the Earth of a few monsters and you all are trying to kill me for it. Fine. You're just proving me right about what dicks you all are. Who even came up with the title 'the dark sorceress' anyway? That's a dumb ass name. Is it because I am black? The fuck is that? That's racist as fuck. I'm so tired of..." a familiar hand covers my mouth stopping my tirade.

Heavens, he smells good.

I melt against his solid body inhaling his heavenly scent. I remember that scent. He smells like the moon. Why does he smell like the moon? No one smells like the moon.

"The witness has clearly been adversely affected by the potion. By COK law 53, the trial must be put on hold." I hear Arya say.

They debate on it further before Alaric leads me out of there with his palm still covering my mouth. And yes, I tried to bite it. Nothing.
Heavens, I miss my magic. No one man-handled me back then. I would have broken every inch of bone in his arms for that.
Zeke once tried to man-handle me; that did not end well for him. Good times.
Being human sucks sometimes.

He finally lets go of me once I am back in the room. This room kinda reminds me of the cave Kai and I lived in right after... No! Not going back there.

I am looking to the future and not the past. Although, this whole thing is them putting a microscope to my past.

Vultures. Only vultures and other scavengers actually play an important role in the ecosystem. They are more like humans. Constantly taking. Useful at first, but will eventually be more of a nuisance to nature.

Henry said when an employee becomes more of a liability than an asset, you fire them. Someone should fire them.

I miss Henry. He was a great boss. He kind of reminded me of Bo. She was the best

Before I know it, I am sobbing. Actual loud-wailing, tear-stricken, snot-nosed, blotchy-faced, ugly crying.

"Please stop."

Shit! I forgot he was even here. Oh no, was I ugly-crying in front of Alaric? Second thought, they should just kill me.

I straighten myself up only to break out in tears again when I look at him.
What am I doing?

Why am I like this?

"Arya says I should hug a girl when she is crying. Do you want me to hug you?"

I nod really needing one. Even if it is from him.

Big strong arms engulf me in a gentle hug. That scent, the smell of the moon wraps around me, intoxicating my senses.
The hug itself is awkward, it is obvious he is not a hugger, but the intent is nice.

I wrap my arms around his large frame, sobbing against his broad chest. The ache in my chest burns with intensity spreading to my stomach, throat and head. The darkness inside is threatening to bubble over and consume me whole.

Alaric's arms relax, but his grip on me tightens. He rests his chin on top of my head and I think I feel a soft kiss. Maybe I imagined it.

Even so, I feel slightly better. My darkness retreats to the special place reserved for it.

That does not mean I stop crying.

Tears are my catharsis. Well, they are the method I have chosen. The other method is going on a rampage and no one wants a repeat of that.

"Do you feel the effects of the dolphins yet?"

"Dolphins?" I ask completely confused.

My dumb question spurs a long ass lecture on the relationship between touch and different mood altering hormones. It all sounds like gibberish to me but he looks strangely peaceful educating me.

It reminds me of when papa was training me in healing craft. He obviously loved it while I could not care less. Okay, I could, but it was all boring.
I have a feeling Alaric has a similar passion for whatever it is he is talking about.

"I am boring you, aren't I?" He sighs despondently.

"No. I'm afraid I'm just not good at these sort of things." Damn me, why do I feel embarrassed?

"Simplified, hugging is supposed to make you feel good." He dumbs it down for me.

"Because of the dobimine, seranin and oxytocin?" I think that's what he said, at least.

He gives me the softest smile before nodding his head. Yes!! I did it. Papa would be so proud of me. More importantly, I made Alaric smile again.

He looks so beautiful it hurts.

Is that pride I see gleaming in his eyes?

Okay, why do I feel like I am blushing again? This needs to stop. I can't even look him in the eye anymore.

When his calloused fingers gently raise my chin so I am facing him, I almost combust. Spontaneous human combustion- that's a thing, right?

He is still smiling softly at me with a tender look in his dark eyes. A look that makes me feel loved and cherished. A look that reminds me of a simpler time- before I became Nebula, or the dark sorceress, or an experiment, or a prodigy. It reminds me of a time when I was loved simply for being alive.

But I am not loved. He doesn't love me. And even if he did, he'd always love the crown more than me.

It is time I stopped deluding myself.

Taking a step back, I note his confusion.
He does not get to be confused, not after leaving me voiceless to rot alone in the dungeons. Not after allowing another woman to touch him so intimately right in front of me - and yes I am still pissed about that.

I deserve more.

----------------------------------------------
Thoughts?