Chapter 29

This time, there is a large bottle of water waiting for me when I woke up in the quaint little room. There is even a bowl of fruit!!

What happened? Why does my head feel like I'm hungover?

Then I remember it all. I remember the trial and Nalah.

"Good, you're up." Princess Renho walks into the room. She holds out the bottle of water for me crinkling her nose.

I take it and drink. I swear water is life.

"Eat up too. That truth potion is going to take a lot out of you."

You don't have to tell me twice. I grab the bowl and start stuffing my face with fruit. It isn't until I hear the door shut that I realise what she said.

Why would I be drinking the truth potion, unless... well fuck me.

A few minutes later two female lycans come in and drag me to a scalding hot bath. A dress is laid out for me when I return. I moisturise then slip on the short midnight-blue fit and flare-type dress with the kind of neckline that makes my boobs look good.
Instead of wearing the heels that were next to the dress, I find a comfortable pair of sandals.
I feel clean, for the first time in days. I feel like myself for the first time in years.

This time I am not dragged; this time I am marching to the courtroom like a warrior off to war. In a way, I am. I am fighting for my life.

The doors open and there are some gasps as I walk in. I must look very different from the dirty weak girl being dragged in here yesterday. A lot can change in a day.
Yesterday, they all wanted to see me dead. Today they look unsure.
Yesterday, I was ready to die. Today, I am ready to fight.

Dad and mama didn't raise a weakling. They raised a warrior.

I walk to the center stand with my head raised high.
They bring me the truth potion and I take it from her. Just as the glass touches my lips, I get a feeling.

Putting the glass back down, I watch everyone eye me suspiciously. Everyone except him.

"I demand a cleansing." Fucking asshole. I am burying your ass.

"You do not make any demands." The merman tells me sternly.

"I am not familiar with the court of kings proceedings, however, by witch law, any witch has the right to demand a cleansing before ingesting anything prepared by another witch." I inform them. I send a silent thank you to mama for making me memorise witch law since I could talk. Not once have I ever broken the laws of my people.

"You are stalling." Someone shouts.

"A cleansing does not take more than a minute." My eyes meet the sorceress supreme's.

"Bring me the potion." The young witch does as told and the supreme begins the simple chant. Only, it is not as simple as it should be.

"The potion was poisoned." She announces once she has completed the chant.

"I know." I say looking directly at him.

Caught you.

The potion is returned to me and I drink the sour concoction.

I begin to feel light as a bird and just a little tipsy. Damn, they forgot to account for my current state. It's a good thing I had a crazy high tolerance. But we have to make this quick.

"Nova-Cielle Vermillion," Isla starts, "how old were you when your parents died?"

"I was fourteen when my parents were murdered." They didn't just die.