EIGHT

EIGHT
Callie

"I'm stuffed." I sigh, resting back against the sofa, placing my hand on my bloated stomach.

I'm met with silence and I look up at Miller and Everest to see them staring at me with an unexplainable expression on their faces.

"What's wrong?" I whisper and they both blink before shaking their head.

"Nothing, sunshine." Everest beams and begins to pour me another glass of wine but I shake my head.

"No more wine, Ev." I sigh and he nods his head, placing the bottle back on the table.

"Can I ask you a question?" Miller speaks out and I suddenly begin to feel nervous.

What could he possibly need to ask?

"Yes." I rush out.

"Are you really thinking of leaving the company?" He questions, his voice filled with a hint of sadness.

Oh shit.

"Well I mean obviously I will leave at some point. Not right now, I just thought you were firing me that day and I couldn't help but panic so I blurted that out." I laugh nervously, worried about their reaction.

"We love you working with us, my love." Miller whispers and I smile.

"And I love working with you guys, even if you can be annoying." My eyes fall to Everest who pouts. "I'm not leaving anytime soon, okay." I reassure them and they nod, a satisfied smile etching onto both of their handsome faces.

"Fine by me, little sunshine." Everest claps and I playfully roll my eyes.

"Something tells me when it's time to give in my resignation letter it's gonna be a very difficult situation." I look at them with raised eyebrows and they both shrug their shoulders.

"Anyway I need to get home." I stand up from my chair and Everest's face falls slightly.

"I'll take you." I spin around in surprise to finally see Phoenix.

He didn't spend the evening with us.

"Fine." I whisper, just wanting to go home and snuggle into my bed.

"Thank you for the food." I smile at Everest and Miller.

"No worries, my love. Get home safely okay." Miller walks up to me and smiles gently, his brown eyes gleaming.

My stomach flutters.

I turn back to face the giant who is standing by the front door with his car keys in his hands. He looks down at the floor, avoiding eye contact with me.

I say my finals goodbyes to the other two men before following Phoenix towards his car.

"You didn't join us for dinner. Why?" I question him as he begins the drive back to my place.

"Just tired. I'll try next time." He tells me and I slowly nod my head. "I'm sorry, princess." He whispers and I give him a warm smile.

"No worries. Phoenix, I just want you all to be okay." I watch as his jaw clenches and his hands tighten on the steering wheel.

"I....Erm, we have a meeting tomorrow morning. Make sure you're on time." He mumbles and we go back to sitting in silence until he pulls up outside my home.

"Thank you for dropping me home. I'll see you tomorrow, Nix." I smile and he replies with a sharp nod — only driving off when I'm safely in the building.