TWENTY-EIGHT

TWENTY-EIGHT
Phoenix

My eyes are on my girl who is sitting in between River and Poppy across the table from us. However, my eyebrows furrow when I see that her eyes follow the movement of someone behind me.

I turn my head and my jaw clenches when I see Miller's brother. He walks in with confidence, three men behind him. His eyes are on my Callie which angers me and with the smirk on his face, I know he's going to unlock a door of dark secrets tonight or cause more trouble than necessary.

He's not here for a good reason, and it's fucking obvious.

"Very rude of you to not invite me to this lovely business dinner," Mason speaks up and I roll my eyes. "Hello, beautiful Lillie." My fists clench underneath the table at his nickname for my girl and my nails begin to dig into my skin as I watch him make his way over to her.

River stands up and stands behind Callie's seat, eyeing the man up and down. Mason holds his hands up in the air and chuckles lightly, keeping his distance by a couple of metres.

"What are you doing here, Mason?" Miller questions with a clenched jaw. I very rarely see Miller angry, but when his brother is around it's as if something clicks in him. His jaw is clenched tightly and I'm concerned that he might crack a tooth.

My eyes fall back to Callie who has an annoyed expression on her face as she stares at Mason. My annoyance grows when he takes a seat not far from her.

"Answer the fucking question!" I slam my hand on the table, losing my patience, and watch as a menacing smile morphs onto his face.

"What am I doing here?" He purses his lips and then slowly nods his head. "Well, I'm here for this lovely woman." He nods his head towards my girl, and that's all it takes for me to jump out of the seat and make my way over to him. I grab him by the collar and drag him out off the chair and smash him against the wall.

"You want me to put a bullet in your head, Mason? Because trust me, I fucking will." I hiss, and he begins to chuckle in my face, so I pull him back and slam him into the wall again. He groans when his head hits the concrete wall. "Don't fuck around with me, I'm not in the mood."

He holds his hands up, clenching his eyes shut, and I let go of him and watch as he drops to his knees.

The restaurant is empty, we bought it out for the night, so nothing is holding me back from killing this man right now.

Callie.

My fists clench and I step away from the poor excuse of a man before I end up kicking his head in.

I feel the touch of a hand on my back and slowly turn my head to see Callie looking up at me with a small smile on her face. I reach up to stroke her cheek and then watch her step in front of me and stare up at Mason.

"You need to leave." She tells him as he stands back up on his feet.

"Come on, Lillie, don't be like that." My eyes clench shut at the fucking nickname.

I then feel Everest and Miller stand on either  side of me. Mason's eyes alternate between the four of us before his face relaxes and a smirk etches onto his face.

"I heard you've got someone who is trying to take you all down." He chuckles, and I'm so close to losing my shit until Callie reaches behind her and grabs hold of my hand.

"Let's not talk about this here, Mason," Miller whispers aggressively. They all make their way over to the balcony of the restaurant and I turn Callie to face me.

"You stay here, baby." She nods her head and I squeeze her hand before following after the others. "You make sure nothing happens to her." I point to Luca who gives me a firm nod as I make my way past him.

I adjust the gun tucked in the waistband of my trousers because I have a really bad feeling that I'm going to be needing it.

Mason pulls out a cigarette and lights it up before tucking the lighter back into the pocket of his suit jacket. He takes a huge drag before exhaling into the humid air.

I look over at Miller, who looks like he's ready to lose his shit. Everest......well, he's just there.

"You and your business are going to crumble." Mason breaks the silence and smiles, making my eyebrows furrow. "You three have become weak because if this was a few years ago, and you had a threat, it would have been sorted by now."

"You say that like you're a part of the business." Everest chuckles. "You don't know shit, Mason."

"I know you're all fucking your assistant." He raises an eyebrow and takes another drag of his cigarette before throwing it onto the floor and stepping on it with the tip of his shoe. "Bet she's nice and t—"

I pull my gun out instantly and shove it under his chin.

"You shut the fuck up!" I yell.

"Nix," Everest warns me as a taunting look forms on Mason's face.

"Always had a temper, didn't you, Nix?" He continues to taunt, and I snarl and pull away from him.

"Why the fuck have you shown up here, Mason?" Miller steps forward and questions. "You want something, otherwise you wouldn't be here."

"You're right, but I've come here because I know you need help." I scoff at his words. "I don't know why you're scoffing when someone's out to kill you, kill Callie." His last two words have my whole body tensing up.

"Shut the fuck up!" I exclaim and shove him back.

The sky decides it wants to start pouring with rain, so I squint my eyes and shove him again until he falls onto the ground.

"Don't ever think about talking about our girl like that again, or I promise I will put a bullet in your skull." I point, and I watch as his face falls slightly, a small amount of fear swimming in his dead eyes.

He stands back up and brushes himself down.

"We don't need your help, so I suggest you leave, Mason," Everest speaks up, but Mason shakes his head. "The fuck do you mean, no. Honestly, Miller, do you both have the same mother because how did this one over here end up like this?" I smirk at Ev's comment.

"This was your only night to accept my help. I came here out of kindness and this is how you treat me." The man is a bloody psychopath. "Now someone had to get hurt." He pouts, and my face falls.

All I can think about is Callie at that very second.

"I suggest you don't move otherwise the sniper that is set on a rooftop will pull the trigger and I promise they are very trained in what they do," Mason smirks.

My eyes move around the area and I spot it straight away.

"Nix?"

My body freezes and my heart drops at the sound of Callie's voice, the same time a gunshot goes off.

A/N
Thank you so much for 26,000 followers, I love you. Sorry for the cliffhanger lol🙈💙