THIRTY-SEVEN

THIRTY-SEVEN
Miller

"I've never seen you look so rough." I roll my eyes at my brother's comment as I put on a bulletproof vest. "I don't think Callie is gonna wanna see you looking like that." My eyes slowly close, and I take a deep breath.

"Do yourself a favour, Mas, and keep your mouth shut unless you want a bullet in your thick fucking skull!" His eyes widen at my words, and he holds his hands up in defence.

"You love me really." He grins, and I can't stop the smile from etching on my face.

"You're a fucking idiot," I mumble and he shrugs. I hand him a bulletproof vest but furrow my eyebrows when he refuses to take it.

"Don't need one."

"You're not invincible, Mason. Take the fucking vest." I huff. He shakes his head again.

"I like to think I'm invincible." He places his hands on his waist and I look at him like he's crazy.

Probably because he is.

"You die. It's not my problem." I roll my eyes and he chuckles.

His laughter soon dies down, and he looks to be in deep thought.

"What is it?" I ask him, and he looks up at me with eyes similar to my own and smiles gently.

"You really love her, don't you?" He whispers.

"With everything that I have." I nod and watch as he slowly nods his head. "I envy you sometimes, Miller. You managed to always make mum and dad proud, while I did the opposite and pissed them off."

"They still love you, you idiot. You're just... Well, you're just you." I pat him on the back, and he rolls his eyes.

"Thanks for the encouraging words." He scoffs and we both stare at each other for a few more seconds before bursting out laughing. "You know I did want Callie to work for me, I have a fat crush on her, but I know my boundaries."

"Now you've said too much." I shove him out the way and walk out of the room to see everyone ready for what's to come.

A lot of bloodshed.

"Where's my vest?" Ellis walks up to me and asks. I raise my eyebrows at the young boy.

"You don't have one because you're staying here." His face falls at my words.

"But I helped Luca to locate Callie. I promise I'm good at combat, I'm even better than those pricks over there." He points at River and Everest, who are oblivious to their brother's pleads to join the mission.

"You're too young, Ellis. This is dangerous, you're not coming and that's final." He huffs and I watch him storm off.

I roll my eyes and make my way over to the rest of the team. Luca begins to explain Callie's whereabouts.

"The bunker is in a field around seventy miles from here, far from the city. It's most likely they're going to have explosive devices on the ground above, they're going to make it difficult for us to make it across." My jaw clenches in frustration, but it's nothing I didn't expect.

"There has to be another entrance somewhere, a tunnel maybe." Annie pushes and Luca begins to quickly type on the computer. We all wait in anticipation, and I feel myself begin to sweat.

A bunker.

That means tight spaces.

I gulp and begin to pull at my collar.