❀ Chapter 1: Safe ❀

❀ 𝑂 𝑅 𝐸 𝐿 𝐼 𝐴 ❀(sᴏʟᴀs - ᴊᴀᴍɪᴇ ᴅᴜꜰꜰʏ)

❀ 𝑂 𝑅 𝐸 𝐿 𝐼 𝐴 ❀
(sᴏʟᴀs - ᴊᴀᴍɪᴇ ᴅᴜꜰꜰʏ)

There was something I always thought of when I danced.

It wasn't the tips of my toes touching the splintered wood.

It wasn't the way the wind blew through my hair, making it flow around me like a billowing dress.

It wasn't the way I squeezed my eyes shut, letting the rhythm of my movements take me wherever it wanted me to go.

What I thought of as I danced, was the places dancing could take me.

I never thought that I would make it out of foster care with my mental state fully intact.

I never thought that dancing could allow me to get any further then the gloominess of this attic.

But I could dream.

Nothing could stop me from dreaming. Not even the sound of Wills discouraging and grating voice.

Many kids in the system have nothing. Not all. Some kids find wonderful homes with bright parents and a healthy environment.

But some, like me, are placed where the people only care about the money they can make off of you.

Where the bruises are only temporary and shouldn't be shone to the public. Where my health (mental and physical) are nothing but a suggestion.

But I have something.

Something that makes me open my eyes on days I don't have school.

That makes me sit up from my slumber without a depressed groan.

And that is ballet.

Dancing is my life.

Dancing is all I have.

I love the way dancing clears my head.

The way my feet ache each time they slap the ground.

The way it makes me forget about my life. The life I've been living for 17 years.

My form was as good as it was going to get for someone who had taught themselves.

Will would never allow me to participate in after school activities so I had no choice but to teach myself.

I spin, my foot locked on my inner thigh and my eyes closed, my arms stretched out and the same melody running through my head that always kept me from toppling over.

Whenever I danced, it felt like I controlled the wind. Spin left, the wind followed me. Spin right, the wind wasn't very far behind. I like that feeling. That power I felt whenever I danced.