❀ Chapter 10: Dance ❀

❀ 𝑂 𝑅 𝐸 𝐿 𝐼 𝐴 ❀(ᴍʏsᴛᴇʀʏ ᴏꜰ ʟᴏᴠᴇ - sᴜꜰᴊᴀɴ sᴛᴇᴠᴇɴs)

❀ 𝑂 𝑅 𝐸 𝐿 𝐼 𝐴 ❀
(ᴍʏsᴛᴇʀʏ ᴏꜰ ʟᴏᴠᴇ - sᴜꜰᴊᴀɴ sᴛᴇᴠᴇɴs)

I'd always loathed mirrors.

They never showed me what I wanted to see.

What they did show me was the knobby knees of a tall lanky girl who's awkward and doesn't know how to press her shoulders back to lude off a false sense of confidence.

They showed the white hair of a girl who stuck out like a sore thumb.

Who no one ever wanted to be friends with.

They showed the eyes of a girl who's never felt safe. Who's always felt lonely. Who didn't care if she lived or died.

I'm speaking in past tense but most of that is right now. I'm living it all this very second.

I sit next to Rogue in his truck, staring at myself in the little mirror on the ceiling of the car, wondering what made me think skipping school with him was a good idea.

I chose to spend more time with him? And I'm not mad at myself about it?

And there's a question that keeps nagging at me, poking me and pushing me.

Why are all my nerves gone?

I close the mirror and look beside me at Rogue who's staring at me with such a confused expression that I have to laugh as I ask "What?"

He catches himself, that funny look wiping off his face. I miss it as soon as it's gone. It made him seem more...

Human? No. That's not the right word because if anyone in this world is 'human' it's Rogue. I haven't known him long but what I do know is that the burns, why he closes himself off...maybe it's because he's to 'human.'

"What are you doing?" He asks.

I tilt my head a little. "Looking at the mirror?"

He looks at me a second longer before giving me a short nod. Looks away. Opens the door. Jumps out. Slams the door behind him.

I stare at the empty space he left, questioning my entire existence.

I follow suit after a moment, jumping out of the truck. My feet make a soft thump sound as they meet the dirt road in front of Leon's house.

Yes. Rogue brought me back here.

When you think of skipping school, you think of going to the store. Or some party (I've never been to a party) or to hang out with friends (I've never hung out with any friends.) The last thing you would think to do is go home.

I'd rather go back to that Godforsaken school.

I hear Rogue's footsteps before I see him and then he's rounding the car and passing me without a glance.