✦ Chapter 34: Name ✦

✦ 𝑅 𝑂 𝐺 𝑈 𝐸  ✦(Freaks - Surf Curse) 7 years ago

✦ 𝑅 𝑂 𝐺 𝑈 𝐸 ✦
(Freaks - Surf Curse)
7 years ago

"What is this place?" Orelia asked behind me.

Talk about deja vu.

I didn't answer her, trailing my finger along the chain links on the fence. They were rusted with age.

The sun was starting to set and made it hard to see what I knew was the abandoned building stretching up towards the sky and casting a monster of a shadow on the dirt ground.

Even though I was way shorter back then, I still could jump the fence with ease but since I had a companion with me, I had to figure out how to get her over it too.

"You don't expect me to climb that do you?" She asked and I glanced at her. There was no fear in her eyes.  Only this curiousness.

She switched her gaze from the building in front of us that seemed closer than it was, to me. I quickly looked away.

"How else are we suppose to get over it?" I mumbled, hooking my fingers through the loops in the fence.

I looked over my shoulder at her, hair messy as it framed her face. She was watching me closely with these wide eyes.

I turned back around, closing my eyes for a second before letting go of the fence and crouching down. "I'll lift you up first. Okay?"

She bit her lip and looked past me for a split second. It was like she wanted to chicken out but was too scared to.

Me being the jerk I was back then (still am I guess) didn't offer her a way out. I wanted to see what she would do. If she would even do it.

She did.

She got this determined look on her face, eyebrows pinching down as she sucked in a big gulp of air before walking over to me.

She touched my shoulder. She touched me and it was like...

I couldn't even describe it. Nothing could compare.

She settled her foot into my hand and before the fact that my arms were basically twigs dawned on me, I hefted her up and she gripped the top of the fence, dangling there for a second before climbing the rest of the way and jumping over.

She giggled and it was the sweetest sound.

I didn't realize how fast my heart was beating until she landed safely on the ground. Light on her feet.