TWENTY SIX.

TWENTY ;
tears

real life !

Evelyn had spent the majority of the last week trying to figure out where she had slipped up and ruined everything with Wilbur. Between the mutual flirting and the many friend dates the two went on, she thought she was doing a pretty good job keeping things platonic and friendly with him.

Apparently not.

George had admitted to her a few days ago that Wilbur had messaged him the morning he came over to have dinner, but not since then.

She was pretty sure it had something to do with the infamous twitch clip circling the internet of Wilbur admitting that he didn't actually believe in love and he most likely never will.

What she wasn't sure of, however, is why Wilbur was ignoring her. Sure, the constant need for affection and attention from her might've given her the wrong idea, but it's not like she was forcing her feelings on him. If he didn't believe in that sort of thing she wasn't going to ever admit anything to him. They could be friends and hang out and be normal around each other.

Evelyn didn't care if he never wanted to even consider anything more with her if that meant he was still in her life. And hey maybe it was too soon to believe his absence was permanent, but she had always had a bad habit of assuming the worst and it had only ever gotten worse as she grew up.

"What are you thinking about?" a soft voice interrupted, making Evelyn nearly fall out of her bed. "Oh. My bad, I thought you heard me come in."

Evelyn offered her a weak smile. "Sorry, Lola. I was a little distracted."

Lola frowned and sat on the bed across from her. "I noticed. What's wrong?"

Evelyn had every intention of waving her off and telling her nothing, but the second Lola brought her into a tight hug, the tears began to fall.

"Sorry. Sorry, I just...it's kind of stupid. I'm overreacting big time," she muttered as she clung to her best friend. "This is so embarrassing."

Lola only held her tighter. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"i'm worried about Wil," she admitted quietly. "He hasn't responded in like a week and I know it's not really my business what he's doing but i'm just..."

"You're just a good friend, Evs," she said, combing a hand through her friends hair. "A good friend with a heart that's too big. I assume you're most worried because he freaked you out last time when you guys made your fort, huh?"

Evelyn shrugged. "I guess. He just seemed so sad that day and I just want to be there for him and I can't do that when he's ignoring me. I...I haven't messaged him in a few days because I was trying not to seem to clingy and—,"

"Evelyn," Lola interrupted softly, "you're sure you're not just upset about the whole love thing?"

"No," she replied immediately. "I don't think you or Clay or even George understand that I don't care if he doesn't believe in love or whatever the hell the clip said. That's his business and I have no right being upset about that. I'm just worried. I know what it's like to feel alone and I don't know what's bothering him, but I just...I want him to know that i'm there for him. Even when he thinks nobody else is."