TWENTY NINE.

TWENTY NINE ;
sleepovers

real life !

When Wilbur woke up the next morning, he felt more refreshed than he had in a long time. He was perfectly content laying in bed all day, but the second he looked at the sleeping girl next to him, he was instantly overcome with extreme guilt.

He was selfish. Despite how many times Evelyn told him he wasn't, Wilbur knew the truth. He was selfish and he didn't deserve Evelyn in the slightest. She was, without a doubt, one of the best people he had ever met.

And Wilbur couldn't even bring himself to love her.

...At least, he didn't think he could.

Emotions were confusing and overwhelming and he could barely even think straight with her sleeping next to him. She was hardly even touching him, her fingers were brushing the sleeve of his sweater, and he wanted nothing more than to bring her close and never let her go.

Wilbur was selfish, but he was not cruel.

One night while the two were on call, barely awake and borderline delirious, Evelyn had rambled on and on about how she could never picture herself being with someone who didn't want it to last forever.

And frankly, forever scared the shit out of him.

Evelyn scared the shit out of him.

He had never even considered forever with anybody before. And yet, as he glanced over at the girl beside him, he felt himself doing just that.

Wilbur was pretty sure he was going to throw up with how overwhelmed he was feeling at that moment.

...He was also pretty sure he needed to get his shit together before he lost the best thing in his life.

"You're thinking too hard."

Wilbur glanced over at her and could barely suppress the urge to press his forehead against hers. She was squinting up at him with an expression he could not name, looking like she was barely even awake to begin with.

"you okay?"

He nodded and looked away from her, "m'fine."

He was not in fact fine, but there was no way in hell he was going to tell her that.

"are you sure?"

"Positive. Why don't you go back to sleep, Evie? You look sleepy."

She groaned and rubbed at her eyes before shooting him a playful glare. "Wow, it's almost like I haven't been sleeping very good lately because i've been worried about some idiot with pretty hair."

"I'm sorry," he muttered, reaching over to softly squeeze her hand. "You can sleep now, though. I need to call someone, anyways."

Evelyn blinked at him a few times, "Tommy?"

He shook his head. "Phil, actually."

"Then you'll come back?" She asked, eyes already slipping closed.

Wilbur nodded, despite her not even looking at him anymore. "Then i'll come back."

When she didn't respond, Wilbur took it as his chance to slowly slip out of the bed, but not before he adjusted the blanket so it was on her more.

And as much as he wanted to lay back down and sleep, he was pretty sure the conversation with Phil wasn't going to be a short one.

And he was right. By the time they had finished talking, it had nearly been three hours and Wilbur was slightly concerned that Evelyn was still asleep. Briefly, he wondered if she had been getting even less sleep than him, and that just made him feel even more guilty.

As he wandered back into his bedroom, he nearly let out a sigh of relief. Evelyn was sprawled out on the bed watching something on her phone.

"Hey," he said, leaning against the doorframe. "I didn't know you were awake."

She glanced over at him and offered a small smile, "figured you were still on the phone."

Wilbur nodded and made his way towards her, "I was. You could've interrupted it, though. Phil was just rambling about old man things, you know how it is."

Evelyn didn't look convinced, but she didn't push it. "It's alright, I was just talking to George and watching random videos he was sending me."

"How long have you been awake?" He asked with a frown.

"I don't know. Like, hour and a half maybe?"

Wilbur facepalmed and fell backwards onto the mattress. "Christ, i'm an awful host."

"Clearly you haven't been to George's house that many times. He's literally the worst, trust me," Evelyn reassured as she patted his arm.

"if you say so..."

"I do. Anyways, it's like...oh, wow."

"What?"

"Were you aware it's ten thirty? Because I wasn't. I didn't realize we—I had been asleep that long. God, and you had the nerve to say you were bad company...I literally slept the entire time. You might as well set your neighbor on me at this point."

Wilbur scoffed, "Don't worry about that. I only woke up a little before you did. And it was at seven in the morning, too! Dunno if Tommy told you, but i've been pretty consistently getting up at three in the afternoon everyday."

"I should probably get going," she muttered as she climbed off the bed. "I didn't actually plan on spending the night here, sorry about that."

"If I didn't want you here, I would tell you that," he told her, reaching for her hand. "let me make you breakfast first, at least. It's the least I can do for making you lose sleep over me."

Evelyn thought about it for a few minutes before shrugging, "Sure. I'll never say no to free food."

He grinned at her and stood up, still tightly holding onto her hand. "I like the way you think, Miss Hart."