TWENTY TWO.

TWENTY TWO ;
our star

real life !

The next time Wilbur invited her to go watch the stars with him, it was nearing the beginning of October, and despite it only getting colder, and despite her actually hating cold weather, Evelyn did not hesitate to agree.

They met at Sals once again. Wilbur was stood outside, arms crossed, looking mildly suspicious as he watched people rush down the street. When his gaze landed on her, he smiled brightly and rushed towards her.

"Evelyn, hi! Fancy seeing you here!" Wilbur greeted as he brought her into a tight hug. "I've missed you!"

Evelyn laughed softly as she pressed her face against his chest, "Right, not like you saw me three days ago or anything when you forced me to go bowling with you."

"That was a bit humiliating," he admitted, stepping away from her. "But it was pretty funny from my perspective."

She narrowed her eyes at him, "Did you invite me to hang out just so you could harass me about my bowing skills?"

"Your lack of bowling skills would be more accurate," he teased, before grabbing her hand. "Now, come on! We've got to get there before it's too dark to see in front of our faces. God knows someone will find a way to eat shit if they can't see."

Evelyn huffed as they started walking towards the beach, "we both know that someone is you, so why are you making it seem like it's me?"

"Because it's funnier than admitting I'm clumsy."

She snorted in response, "It's not completely your fault. You're like a baby great dane, all lanky and awkward—,"

"I am not awkward, thank you very much," he said with an extremely exaggerated pout. "And if I was, I would be very insecure about it and you should never bring it up again."

Evelyn waved him off, "i'm fairly certain you'd get over it pretty quickly."

Wilbur sighed and let go of her hand, choosing to wrap it around her shoulders and pull her against his side instead. "I would, but that's not the point."

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever."

By the time they made it to their spot on the beach, it was just starting to get dark. And it was freezing. But neither of them commented on the weather, both far too focused on trying to spot the brightest star in the sky. ( and both far too content enjoying each other's presence ).

"Stop looking!" Evelyn complained, reaching over to cover his eyes with her hand. "It's my turn to name it and you're ruining my chances!"

Wilbur playful swatted her hand away, "you can't cheat, Evie. Besides, i've already spotted it."

"You have not."

"I have," he said with a wide grin. "In your face, loser."

Evelyn frowned. "Where?"

He pointed towards the sky to the left, making her sigh loudly. "Go on then, what are you going to name it?"

Wilbur glanced towards her and reached over to poke her cheek. "I'm curious to know what you would have named it."

"Well now I don't want to tell you."

"Aw, don't be like that Ev! It's not my fault you were too busy trying to cheat and not actually looking for the star. Besides, we've already established im kind of shit at naming things, so i'm open to ideas."

Evelyn suddenly found the rocks beneath them very interesting. "Its kind of embarrassing. And very cringe."

"You've been talking to Techno too much," he muttered, before tossing a rock into the water. "Honestly, though. What do you want to name it? Think of it as our star."

She shrugged, still avoiding looking at him. "I feel like if it's our star, the only appropriate thing to name it would be Goldhart, don't you think?"

Wilbur grinned and slung his arm around her shoulders again, "I think that's a perfect name for our star. I'm glad I passed the naming privileges onto you considering I called it Ew last time."

"That was a pretty shit name to be fair."

"Ugh, I know it was. Trust me, Evie im more than aware of how bad my naming skills are."

Evelyn laughed and finally looked over at him, glad he couldn't see her reddening face in the darkness. "We love a self aware king—,"

He gently slapped a hand over her mouth and groaned loudly, "You've been talking to Tommy too much as well. God, what a nightmare this could end up being."

Evelyn only continued to laugh as Wilbur continued to rant about how absolutely awful it was that she was spending more time with his internet brothers than she was with him. She decided to remain quiet, perfectly content to lean into his side and steal his warmth for as long as he would let her.

(he would let her sit there forever if she wanted to, but that's not something he was ready to admit to himself or out loud just yet).

A/N
quackity book?