THIRTY ONE.

THIRTY-ONE;
GoldHart (REAL)

real life !

WIL<3
hey
can I come over?

EV☀️
sure

read at 10:55 PM

When Wilbur eventually showed up on her doorstep, the first thing she noticed about him was that he looked ten times better than he had when she went to his house. He looked like he had been sleeping, and if she ignored his puffy red eyes, Evelyn would never be able to tell something had been bothering him.

The second thing she noticed was how nervous and fidgety he seemed. His fingers had not stopped twitching since she had opened the door and he could barely hold eye contact with her for longer than a few seconds.

"Hi, Wil," she said softly, shoving her trembling hands into the pockets of her jacket. "are you okay?"

He shook his head quickly. "No. Not yet. I don't think I will be until I get all this shit off my chest. Can we...um, can we talk? Somewhere private?"

Evelyn glanced behind her and stifled a laugh at Declan, who was squinting suspiciously at the two from his place on the stairs.

"Uh...sure. Did you want to go somewhere? Or would my room work?"

Wilbur anxiously ran a hand through his already messy hair, "How would you feel about our spot at the beach?"

"Fine by me," she muttered, "i'll grab my keys."

About halfway through the drive, Evelyn realized that this was the first time they had ever gone to the beach without meeting at Sals first. There was no smug looking Wilbur leaning against the wall looking mildly suspicious as he watched the people walk past him. Instead, she had an absolutely silent Wil sitting in the passenger seat, anxiously spinning a ring around his finger.

The ride there was silent. She couldn't figure out if it was an awkward or comfortable silence, but considering the car ride was pretty short, she didn't have any time to dwell on it.

They took a seat on the rocks, both hesitant to start the conversation they knew would change everything. In the end, it was Wilbur who spoke first.

"I'm sorry for dragging you out here at almost eleven at night," he started, awkwardly scratching the back of his neck. "But I didn't know if I could live with myself if we didn't have this conversation in person...or if we didn't have this conversation at all. And I...well, I needed to see you, I guess. I needed to see you and apologize for how shitty I've been the last couple of weeks—,"

"I already told you that I understood you were having a hard time," she interrupted. Her words only deepened the frown on his face, barely visible in the moonlight.

"Please don't act like me having a hard time justifies me ignoring you. There's nothing that will make what I've been doing okay and I know that. You know that, too. I'm selfish, Evelyn. You can say otherwise all you want but I know what I am. I was ignoring you for almost two weeks trying to get my shit together and you hear I'm having an especially rough time and you don't even hesitate to show up and my house and successfully make me feel better than I have in a long time. You comforted me and I still didn't have the balls to tell you why I was upset."