TWENTY FOUR.

TWENTY FOUR ;
ghosting

real life !

"So, Evelyn," George started as he took a seat in front of his best friend. "You and Wilbur have been spending a lot of time together these past few months. Is it appropriate to ask where my invite is? Lost in the mail, perhaps?"

Evelyn wrinkled her nose at him, "Invite for what?"

"The wedding, idiot. When is it and why haven't I received my invitation yet?"

"I don't know. Maybe because there isn't a wedding?"

George sighed heavily and rolled his eyes at her, "Ugh, I know. I was just hoping I was wrong for once in my life and you guys weren't still dancing around each other."

"George it's literally been like three months and we're very good friends now. Why are you so desperate for that to change?"

He threw his hands up in exasperation, "because I want to be the reason you guys get together. Is that too much to ask for?"

Evelyn shrugged, "I don't know. He hasn't been answering my messages so maybe he got sick of me or something."

"What?" George asked with a frown, suddenly looking a bit more serious. "What happened?"

"Nothing more to say about it," she muttered, picking at a loose thread on the sleeve of her sweater. "It's only been a few days and I get it, he's a busy man it's no big deal. Just kind of...odd that he started ghosting me the day after we hung out at his house."

George was quiet for a few minutes before he reached over and squeezed her hand. "I wouldn't worry too much about it, Ev. Sometimes he gets all moody and he hides away in his room just to come out a few days later completely back to normal. I'm sure he's okay, Evie. And i'm sure he's not only ghosting you. Don't overthink this, itll do more harm than good."

"Thanks, Gogy," she replied, offering him a small smile. "I haven't reached the overthinking stage just yet, though. Just hope he's okay."

"I can try messaging him if you'd like?"

She shrugged, "Up to you. I texted him this morning and told him i'd leave him alone until he was feeling better."

"i'll give him a day and then start harassing him," George decided after a few minutes of staring at him and Wilburs last conversation. "You're sure nothing happened the last time you hung out?"

"Everything was perfectly normal. He was extra clingy but otherwise everything was the same as it usually is."

"So you two were just flirting the whole time," he deadpanned, earning him an exaggerated eye roll.

"yes," she admitted, ignoring the way her cheeks burned red at the thought. "Now shut up and eat your dinner. I almost burned my entire arm making this dumb spaghetti so you better enjoy it."

George raised his hands in mock surrender, "Okay, fine. No need to get so aggressive, Ev. I'm simply just sitting here and minding my own business and—ow! I hate it when you do that," he muttered, rubbing his arm where she had rolled up a towel and snapped it against his arm. "You always misdirect your anger towards me for literally no reason. Get help, woman."

"I'll do it again," she warned, narrowing her eyes towards him.

He didn't respond, choosing to shove a disgusting amount of pasta into his mouth instead.

"Oh no, I sure hope you don't choke."

George flipped her off in response, successfully making her laugh. The victory he felt was short lived, however, as he remembered how guilty he felt for not telling her that he had actually talked to Wilbur that morning. He glanced over at her and was tempted to just blurt out everything, but the genuine smile she had on her face, one she hadn't worn all night, had him biting his tongue.

He hated confrontation. That was a fact everyone who was apart of his life knew that. Tonight, he had been considering confronting both of them about whatever the hell was going on between them, but that meant telling her that she seemed to be the only one he was not talking to. The pure devastation he could clearly picture on his best friends face when she found out he was ignoring her specifically made him want to punch something. Maybe someone.

He hated confrontation. But if Wilbur planned on hurting Evelyns feelings even a little bit, George knew that he would absolutely show up at the taller mans house and give him a piece of his mind.