TWENTY EIGHT.

TWENTY EIGHT ;
everything in between

real life !

Evelyn was almost embarrassed to admit that she was nervous to see Wilbur. It was stupid to even think about considering that he had quickly become one of her closest friends and she was quite literally do almost anything for him.

But it had been almost two weeks of absolutely nothing and a small, ugly part of her was scared that he actually didn't want anything to do with her anymore and she just couldn't take a hint.

Declan had nearly slapped her with a rolled up magazine that morning when she had voiced her concerns to him, promising that Wilbur wasn't the kind of person to do that.

She had arrived at his house a few minutes after Tommy had texted her that he had forced Wilbur to shower and change into clothes that didn't absolutely reek. His words, not hers.

Before Evelyn could get the courage to knock on his door (or before she could chicken out and run back to her car) his door cracked open, startling her so badly she nearly fell down the steps behind her.

A hand quickly wrapped around her wrist as he tilted his head at her, eyebrows raised.

"Fancy seeing you here," he said quietly, voice sounding raspy and hesitant. He was watching her with an amused, yet nervous expression as he awkwardly let her go.

Evelyn looked down, "Tommy tell you i'm coming?"

He shook his head, messy curls falling into his eyes. "Actually, my neighbor," he pointed to the house next door, "called me and was absolutely terrified that I was about to get kidnapped or murdered or something. You're lucky she didn't call the police on you."

"I literally just got here," she frowned, glancing over towards his neighbors house. And elderly lady aggressively holding a baseball bat was staring directly at her, looking like she would not hesitate to beat her with it if given the chance. "Should I be scared of her?"

"Very," he confirmed, before holding the door open for her. "You can come in, if you'd like. Pardon the mess...and also the fact that I am a walking nightmare right now."

Evelyn followed him inside, choosing not to comment on his red and puffy eyes or how he looked like he hadn't slept in weeks.

He shut the door behind her, slowly trailing behind as the walked the short distance to his living room.

Evelyn took a seat next to him, far enough away so that she didn't accidentally touch him, but close enough just in case he wanted to initiate contact.

He frowned in her direction, "I'm afraid I won't be very good company right now."

"That's okay. I won't stay for long if you don't want me to," she said with a shrug as she picked at a loose thread on the sleeve of her sweater. "I was just worried about you."

Wilbur winced and ran a hand through his already messy curls. "Listen...I know you probably want an explanation for everything and I just...I don't know if i'm prepared to have this talk just yet—,"

"That's not why i'm here," she quickly reassured. "I already told you, I was worried. Apparently, nobody's heard from you in a while except for Tommy and I just wanted to check on you and see if you needed anything."