Have you ever loved someone but... It was just never allowed?

Stupid rules. Stupid world. Stupid universe. Stupid anything. No matter how much you call them stupid, you still wouldn't get the freedom you want?

It hurts you, it pains your heart, but you can't do anything about it other than to let it go.

You would do anything to protect them from shame or difficulty – just because you love them.

What if you had to stay away from them just to keep them safe? What if... even your life and death have to be faked in other for them to live a happy life?

What if the time was finally right, but they're already happy with someone else?

Aether met the right person, just... The wrong time.

And he hopes that maybe, just maybe, in a different timeline – he'd be able to love him willingly.

-

"Aether... I heard about the marriage of-"

"I know, Lumine" he giggled, looking down on the ground as he smiles, pretending to be happy, though deep inside him he was shattered. "Don't give me that pity look" he shooed Lumine's face as he rubbed his nose to stop the mucus from falling out of it, mostly due to the tears that he can't stop from falling.

"I don't deserve your sympathy. I had the chance to fight, for us. But I didn't, right? Hahaha. See, I was a coward"

-

"May the archons provide Venti and Alatus enough courage to fight for their own good... If ever there's a god who may be listening to my tears, please, protect them from despair"

He felt a light tap on his shoulder as another tear dropped from his eyes. "Excuse me? Are you alright?"

Aether backed away once he realized who it was. He shamelessly wiped his tears with his hands, God he probably looks like an idiot right now. "Ah- I'm okay! You know, just- manifesting," he tried to not expose his face that much, hoping that he would not recognize him.

"Your voice is weirdly familiar to my ears... H-have we met before?" A stray of blonde hair fell from the back of his ear into his forehead, his aqua blue eyes shines even if Aether's vision was blurry from all the tears.

"No. I believe not" Aether lies. "Ahh... Probably just my imagination, so what's your name?" He was glad he believed that. From all the years that have passed, it's not hard for Albedo to forget what Aether looks like, so I guess that's why he didn't recognize him anymore? Aether was dead in his point of view anyway.

"Just call me a traveler"

"Hm, okay" they walked around, just talking none sense things. The blonde guy was so friendly even if he has the highest position in another kingdom. "I'm Albedo. The King of the castle in dragonspine, I have a wife, and soon to be a father" he smiled.

"Y-your wife is pregnant?"

"Mm" oh and that fucking wrecked him up so much. So so much. The guy he loved and felt safe the most – now has a child. "Ahh... That must be good"

"Yeah, would you like to see some of my paintings?" Aether almost forgot about earlier's topic when he mentioned paintings. "Yes! Can I see the sunflower painting you've been doing before? Is it done yet?"

"How do you know I was doing a sunflower painting..? I- only one person knew about that..."

"I- hahaha! Uh. Well, it's pretty common for painters to draw sunflowers! You know"