37

Keep this ring with you and know that I'll always be with you.” he placed the ring on my palm while I was grieving over our situation. “You can't leave me now...” you can't leave me when I am already used to your presence. Something would be missing in my life if you were not around.

“I'm sorry, my love. My body isn't that strong to keep up.” why did he hide this from me? Four years of being together... He never told me he was sick.

Why now?

Why do you have to leave when I need you the most? When... I need strength to keep fighting?

Why do you have to leave when I've finally learned how to love you?

-

I breathed heavily before blowing on the tip of my flute.

I am not aware of the sound I was making, my tune was only going along with the flow of my tears.

I received an invitation last night from Liyue, and without needing to open it, I already knew what it is. How cruel can this world be? How could they have the nerve to invite me to the wedding of the person I love..?

I didn't bother opening it. I threw it away, it will only make my scars bleed.

Today marks the day of their wedding, and today is also the day that I'm ready to let go of him and all our memories together. I had always hoped we could be more than just memories, this past six years... I have always wanted to be more than just the past.

But he's the one who said it.

I would be selfish if I do not accept the truth that he can't be mine anymore. This will be the last time I'll cry for him, for us. This is the last tune of sadness you will ever hear from me, because I will never let myself get heartbroken anymore... Xiao was enough for me. My heart has been shattered enough to even be broken again.

At these times, the ceremony is probably finished already. I am happy for you, Xiao.

I closed my eyes and let the last tears drop from my eyes, the wave from the sound of my flute slowly fading with the wind.

“You said you'll never leave...” I whispered with my eyes closed because this is the only thing I can hold onto... His promises back then. I was the first to hurt him, so why... Why am I crying right now?

I was on the top of our roof when I saw lots of our residents panicking, I do not know what's happening but it's not like I care.

I was just staring at the sky with my flute beside me when... Diluc... Called me.

“Venti! Come with me!” I was confused at first, did he forget about what he did? How can he casually tell me to come with him after kissing me that night? I don't want to leave our house... But his face has a desperate look on it. He has goals right now, I know it, he's my... Friend.

So I slowly made my way back down, holding the flute with my hands. People of Mondstadt were running everywhere, what even was happening?

“What do you want?” I said with no hint of interest in talking to him... I saw how his face turns soft for a bit, and I felt my heart ache. Is this really where the both of us end as best friends?

“I know we are not on the best terms... But please, trust me, just for the last time.” he didn't even let me respond by grabbing my wrist before pulling me towards the crowd of people! It was so hard to run with him, I kept bumping into others, I am sure that after this I'll get many bruises.

This gets me worried because Mondstadt isn't like this unless they're in deep stress... But where's the stress coming from? I don't even know. I was clueless.