36

Slap

“Why did you do that?!” The first thing she did to me after waking up. Her slap hurts, I just know my cheeks are red from it.

I was looking at the side, refusing to stare at her again. I don't know what face to show her at all, I felt so humiliated and ashamed of myself, I'm so weak... So fucking weak. “Alatus, fuck!” she closes her eyes while her hands were on her head.

“Do you want to know what they're doing there? Arranging our wedding! Fucking fuck you!” I could hear her sobs, and I couldn't help but tear up from this too. I don't want this to happen. If only I could've done something to prevent this from happening...

“I... I'm sorry.”

“Sorry?! Sorry...” she lets out a sarcastic laugh, “Alatus we're getting married! Do you think your sorry is enough? Do you think your sorry will make Venti's pain go away?!” my head hurts a lot to even process what she was saying.

“Xiao you were there with him! You had the chance to run away with him, why would you... Why would you deny your love?”

“Because I fucking know she will hurt Venti right on spot if I admit I still love him!” I finally had the nerve to look back, tears were starting to fall repeatedly from my eyes. I was angry, it's not like... I wanted this to happen. “I knew I had to protect him, even if it means we can't be together!”

“What about me..?”

What?

“Can you protect me from heartbreak too?” what was she talking about? I don't know anything. I am so confused. “This wedding would only make it harder for me... Xiao. It will make it harder for me to hate you! It will break me more knowing that I'm the only one who wants this wedding.”

My heart dropped the moment she speaks out her thoughts.

What was she thinking? Is she losing her mind?

“I know from the start that... It's still him, and I know I can't do anything about that, Xiao. But it still hurts. It hurts so much because I love you, I fell for you even if I know it's not possible. It's just funny because... I'm the one who's getting married to you and yet... I feel sad.”

I couldn't speak.

How could she ever love me? Why would she allow herself to feel pain by loving me? I don't want her to be hurt like this. This is all my fault. I should've done better, I should've stayed away from her while it was still early... If I did that... She wouldn't fall for me and endure all this pain.

I hate myself so much.

I wonder how much it hurts her whenever I talk about Venti?

But yet she stayed by my side. She was still there for me even if I'm hurting her without knowing... I don't know what to do to repay her kindness... I wanted to love her, too, but I know it's not possible because even from the start... My heart belongs to Venti.

“I'm not asking you to love me back, Xiao. I just want you to be happy... I want you to be with him. Please, have balls for once, fight for it.” I chuckled slightly at her statement. She's right... I am a man. I should have the balls to go against anyone who's going in between me and the love of my life.

“I am always on your side.”

-

Time flies so fast. I am now standing in front wearing a golden silk tuxedo, my hair was perfectly brushed. I was just standing here, waiting for the bride to come to me.

Everyone looked so happy, I wish I was too.

I can't help but imagine this was me and Venti's wedding. It makes me wonder... If the rule didn't exist, would I be happy right now? Would it be Venti who I'll be waiting for right now? Would we be happy forever?