Chapter 4

"Parker how are my eye bags," I ask as I pour myself a cup of coffee

"Sweetie do you even sleep anymore," he asks his voice laced with concern.

"I sorta got distracted last night planning my routine until 2am." Parker looks mildly disappointed but not even a little bit surprised. Everyone on our team knows that when I have a vision, I keep going until it is complete, even if that means running off 3 hours of sleep on my busiest day.

"Maya is so lucky," Luna grumbles as she emerges from our room with all her stuff. Wednesday is the only day we team skate together but because of the hockey teams schedule, we have to be there at 5:30 in the morning. The remainder of our week, we have two thirty minute private slots with the team coaches and then 3 days a week, we have strength training and conditioning together in the gym.

"We should wake her up and make her suffer with us." Is that mean of me to suggest? Yes. Am I bitter she gets to sleep until almost 9am because her first class isn't until 10am? Also yes, sue me.

"I did already," Parker says proudly before opening his bedroom door loudly and obnoxiously grabbing his bags. I hear a soft sleepy string of curse words from the bedroom as he exits once again.

"Tristian is here," Luna informs us. There is a collective groan as we grab our stuff and shuffle down to Luna's boyfriend's car.

"Morning team," Tristian greets as we all pile in. Tristan and Luna have been skating together since they were 6. Their connection was so strong even as kids, that neither of them have ever skated with anyone else. Of course when they started dating in high school no one in the skating community was surprised, their chemistry has always been untouchable.

The drive to the arena is quiet. No one is particularly happy to have to practice at such an ungodly hour but we do what we must. Besides it could be worse, the guys hockey team practices almost everyday from 6am to 8am on the ice and then have workouts at night. Wednesday they switch, so they can scrimmage at night to prepare for their weekend games, which is why we have morning ice once a week.

When we arrive at the arena, Tristian drops us all out front close to the doors before going to find a parking spot. "He is so sweet," I smile as Luna bounces by the front door, waiting for him to walk in so she can do what she always does and pounce on him to warm him up.

"You'll find a Tristian one day."

"She would have to stop blowing off dates for ice time first, Luna," Parker reminds her. I have had casual relationships before including one last year for about 2 months but no one ever seems to be able to handle my schedule. They think all the extra time I put in and the fact I rarely deviate from my schedule is ridiculous. I disagree but I don't try to change people's opinions anymore. I have come to realize that few people get it and that is ok, because it is my life so I don't need others to understand. One day hopefully I can stand on an Olympic podium and show them that it was all worth it.