Chapter 33

"Who are you fucking texting so early in the morning Ryder? No way Francesca is up at 6am, only a fucking asshole would be up this early

"Who are you fucking texting so early in the morning Ryder? No way Francesca is up at 6am, only a fucking asshole would be up this early."

"The twins," I tell Bray as we all get into the car.

"As in Francesca's brothers? Those twins?" Stan asks from the back seat. Most people fight for the front seat but Stan is rightfully scared of Bray so he just gives him the front seat without a fight. In reality Bray is the biggest goof you will ever meet but he has stupid strength and forgets how big and strong he is often.

"Yeah I told them yesterday I was going today and so they texted me to say have a safe drive and tell Francesca they said good luck."

"Told them yesterday, how often do you talk to them?" Bray asks, turning in his seat so he is fully facing me while Stan leans forward to also look at me.

"Like everyday? They're cool, what's the big deal?"

"Nothing," the two guys say in unison leaning back into their seats.

"Have you thought anymore about New York," Stan asks. Besides Josh, Stan and Bray are the only two I told about the Islanders offer for this summer. I want so badly to tell Francesca but I just don't know what I want yet and I am worried if she thinks I might be in New York for the summer she might get her hopes up only for me to disappoint her if I decide not to go.

"The NHL has always been your dream," Bray reminds me.

"Has it? Or has it always been their dream and I just never realized it!"

"Ryder, if you never played hockey again how would you feel? I know emotions and shit aren't your thing but seriously think about it. If you never put on your skates again how would you feel?"

I begin to drive and take a moment to really think about the question. I am anxious just thinking about it. The ice has always been my escape, my happy place and never stepping on the ice again sounds like an actual nightmare. "I would be miserable. I love hockey."

"Ok then, the NHL is your dream dude not theirs. Sure they want it too but if you didn't want to make it you wouldn't work as hard as you do. You love the game and playing it and playing in the NHL is a way to continue playing the game you love."

"Bray is right for once Ryder. You love hockey, don't stop playing to spite them. It will only hurt you."

"Can we change the subject," I quietly beg. It is way too early in the morning to be thinking about my parents, especially because they called me yesterday when I was dropping Francesca off and I know I am going to have to call them back eventually.

"Yeah let's talk about Stan and Maya! She was all up on you dude!"

"She was only trying to get Pman's attention, she still barely knows I exist."

"So, make her know dude? It isn't that hard. I don't know how but you are a legend with the ladies, one kiss and they're obsessed with you. Besides you always shy away when she is around or run off, give the damn girl a fighting chance."