Chapter 27

"Fuck face be careful, you're going to ruin it," I snap at Bray who just haphazardly throws himself into the seat next to me almost crushing my sign from Francesca

"Sorry dude, don't get all worked up over some paper you bitch."

I visibly flinch at Bray's words and he instantly looks guilty. "Ryder I-"

"It's ok Bray." I pull the sign closer to me protectively. I'm not a bitch for appreciating the sign. I'm not a bitch because I have human emotions and feelings. I'm not a bitch.

Bray ends up sitting in the row across from me with Stan. He spends the majority of the bus ride looking at me trying to decide what words to say. I know Bray didn't mean what he said, he is my best friend, one of the few people I can consistently count on. But his words still sting like a fresh cut.

The bus pulls up to campus but mentally I am still back in Notre Dame, back on the ice seeing Francesca's sign for the first time. Her admission from Wednesday echoed in my head as I looked to the stands after my first goal to see her jumping around waving the sign wildly. I was too overwhelmed watching her to even move. My team celebrated around me while I just stood there with stupid fucking tears running down my face. I can't even tell you the last time I cried, I had basically gone numb over the years, but last night the tears just came pouring out. It actually felt good to feel something so overwhelmingly happy it moved me to tears which is why I wanted to keep the sign. To everyone else it is a sign but to me it is one of my happiest memories.

My phone vibrating, as the bus stops and guys begin to stand and stretch, pulls me from my reminiscing.

Beck: Are you back yet?

Me: Just got to campus, not even off the bus yet.

Francesca: Awesome, we will all be at the arena soon. I got the goods.

Me: I thought we shut down our dildo selling business.

Beck: STOP! I AM WITH PEOPLE! WHAT IS MY ASSIGNED FBI AGENT GOING TO THINK!

I laugh at how dramatic she always is and pick up my stuff to get off the bus.

"Hey Ryder, can you wait for a second," Bray stops me leaving us as the only two still on the bus.

I nod and Bray shifts from foot to foot looking anywhere but me. I don't know what to say so I just stand there awkwardly waiting for him to start.

"You know you're my best friend right? And like I look up to you right? And that you constantly impress me and push me to be better just by being you? I am super grateful to have you as a friend and have nothing but respect for you. I just was stupid and didn't think and I am sorry because I know about them and the shit they put you through and I never want to make you feel like that dude."

Bray is talking a mile a minute basically out of breath as he goes on and on. I don't know what to say so instead I set my stuff down and hug my best friend. It seems to convey everything I can't because Bray immediately shuts up and hugs me back. In all the years of being friends with Bray I think this is the first time we have ever hugged.