Chapter 22

I am sweating bullets, despite it being mid-February in Michigan

I am sweating bullets, despite it being mid-February in Michigan. I can't even remember the last time I was this nervous about anything. I am usually confident, self assured, and nothing can shake me. But spending time with Francescas brothers, has me stressed out.

I have never been the people pleasing type. If you like me, cool. If you don't, also cool. I will never go out of my way to make someone like me. But fuck do I really want them to like me. I have convinced myself I am so nervous because they're fans and I want to live up to their expectations, but I am playing myself by pretending it has nothing to do with their sister. Francesca has become a staple in my life and given her close relationship with her family I know if they don't like me it could ruin our entire friendship. I don't just want Anthony and Sal to like me, I need them to.

I pull up to Francesca's building and decided to walk up to her apartment instead of just sending a text. I rub my hands on my suit pants a hundred times before I get to her front door trying to dry the sweat on my clammy palms. I give one short knock and the door swings open a second later. Lunas' disappointed glare actually helps my nerves a little.

"Sorry I'm not prince charming," I tease, knowing she was hoping for Tristian and not me.

"Nice suit for a guy with fake teeth and hair plugs."

"Butt," I yell pushing into the apartment while Luna turns around and sprints toward their room to tell Francesca her side of the story before I can tell her mine. I briefly notice the twins sitting on the couch but I am on a mission. Luna has it out for me and I will not let her win today's battle.

"You know for two only children you nailed the art of fighting like siblings pretty fast." Francesca rises from her desk where she is finishing her makeup and silences both of us. Luna and I do fight a lot but I think we are just battling for Francesca's attention. Luna is used to being the best friend but lately, I have moved into her place. "Nice suit, maroon is your color. Thought seriously with the hat? Not even in a suit you could ditch it?"

I look down and assess my white button down and maroon suit, it is one I break out rarely but always draws me lots of compliments. "Stop telling people I have fake teeth and hair plugs butt! It isn't funny."

Francesca bites back a smile and lets out a little snort as I pout and whine like a kid. "I'm sorry wyder, can we go now or do you have more complaints for the wambulance," she coos in a small baby voice. I flip her off but I don't even try to fight the small grin.

We both exit her room and Francesca collects her brothers before we all head down to my car. Both her brothers are dressed in jeans and UMichigan sweaters with their skates slung over their shoulders. I try to think of something to say, some conversation to make but everything my mind comes up with makes me cringe. Fuck, I am a cheeseball.

Francesca must sense my panic because she swoops in and saves my ass. "How are the ladies today, did they get their morning fruit?"

"Good, Sof was hiding so good this morning I thought she escaped."