Chapter 35

I am just about to walk into the rink when my phone starts ringing

I am just about to walk into the rink when my phone starts ringing. I can see Francesca's name across the top but since I am going to see her in literally 4 seconds I don't bother answering. I pull the front door open and walk across the lobby toward the ice, expecting to see her on the ice but she isn't.

"You're late," Francesca calls out the second I come into her view. She is standing on the bench in just her socks with a little frown on her face.

"Sorry Beck, I've just been out of it today." Spring break we had practice and we all were aware it was officially the start of playoff season but coach went easy on us because we had a bye week. As of Monday our rest and relaxation is over and the pressure is back on us, plus some. Practices the past two days have been beyond brutal and everyone is beginning to crack under the pressure, including me. It doesn't make anything better that my parents' calls are getting more incessant and I am still giving them the runaround. And let's not forget the fact that every time I close my eyes flashes of Sunday night, of us dancing, play over and over on a loop.

"Can I help?" she offers while hopping off the bench. She is still wearing her fluffy socks meaning she hasn't put her skates on yet. I already know she wears two pairs of socks most of the time and when she gets to practice she stuffs her warm fluffy socks in her skating bag before putting her skates on. Something about the thought of her waiting for me instead of just starting to practice makes me feel, important?

"You did," I tell her as I sit to put my skates on. She tilts her head in confusion but shrugs and sits down next to me to put her own skates on. "I have your final song for you by the way."

"Oh really? You know if I remember correctly when we made that deal it was just to pick my first competition song not all of them."

"Yeah, but I pick winners."

"Oh yes your song is the reason I won, not the routine I created and performed."

"Glad you see it too butt."

Francesca rolls her eyes and walks away from me to get on the ice. I grab my hockey stick and a couple pucks and follow her. We still set up the cones before each practice but unlike the line we used to make in January this line is made up of maybe 4 cones spaced far apart and barely in a straight line. Neither of us care too much anymore about our sides. When Francesca needs more room to practice I give her the space she needs and when I want to do shooting drills she gives me the room I need. I think the cones are more a force of habit now, after 10 weeks of practicing together it has just become a part of our routine.

"So can I hear the song now or are you building up suspense by making me wait." I drop one of the pucks and push it around a few times pretending like I didn't hear her. "Ryder," she whines.

"Fine, if you insist." I try to play it off like I was making her wait to bother her and not because I am nervous. This song was not picked because I liked the beat or because I thought it was different. This one is saying things I wish I could and it is the most vulnerable I have probably ever let myself be with someone.