Chapter 53

"How do I look?" I ask Bray as I adjust my tie

"How do I look?" I ask Bray as I adjust my tie. Tonight is my first proper date with Francesca and I'm sweating a little. It is just dinner, we have gone to dinner plenty of times in the past, but this time is different.

"Like a gay mans wet dream baby," Bray yells throwing me a wink and slapping my ass.

"Damn baby, take me out to dinner first," I laugh while grabbing my suit jacket and doing a final once over in the mirror.

We both head down the stairs and out to my car with Bray once again driving. I wanted to just drive on my own since I am feeling better but everyone shot that idea down. Shit just getting Francesca to agree to dinner was a fight but I had the team's athletic trainer call her and say it would be ok.

"Ryder not to get all mushy and stuff because I know you aren't about that shit still but I'm like really proud of you bro. I mean shit we've been playing together since we were, what 12? That is 8 years of knowing you and this is the happiest I have ever seen you, it is fucking nice."

"It feels nice," I confess. "I feel like it is finally my life I'm living, not someone else's."

The car is quiet as we park and walk into the building. As the elevator doors shut I fiddle with my watch. "You guys leave tomorrow, right? And then come back Sunday?"

"Yeah. It will be weird not having you there. I always just assumed when we committed to Michigan together we'd always be on the ice together. If I ever see those two defenders off the ice, I swear to fuck-"

"It is hockey, it is a brutal sport and I will be back on the ice soon," I cut him off before he gets all worked up.

"This could be our last Frozen Four together before you leave Michigan and you can't even play." The idea hurts more than I have admitted to anyone. The fact I might leave on an injury sucks. The fact that potentially my last game in the Michigan uniform I didn't get to play till the end, it feels wrong but that is life as an athlete. Sometimes your career is out of your hands and when a door closes you have to just keep going and trust the process.

"Life sucks then you die," I quote Francesca as we step off the elevator.

I don't bother to knock and instead just barging into Francesca's apartment. I can hear Maya yelling at her in the bedroom while Luna watches from the hallway and Parker sits on the couch with some popcorn. The whole apartment has a more lively energy now that their season is over. Of course they have the national championships at the end of July but for the next three and a half weeks until the semester ends, they just have school to focus on.

"Happy Monday," Parker greets, reaching for Bray who is already moving toward his boyfriend.

Luna walks over to me and looks me up and down. "Lulu," I tease but I think everyone within a mile radius can hear the nervous edge to my voice.

Without saying a word she reaches out and gently adjusts my tie and then wipes a little piece of lint off my jacket. "You look... decent," she says even though she sounds like she is in pain while saying it. To many, her compliment would sound insincere but I know she means it which settles my nerves a tad.