Chapter 14

Beck: Walking into my review now, see you later

I can't stop the stupid grin on my face as I stare at her text I got 20 minutes ago. My parents don't come to games and besides my teammates or the puck bunnies I don't spend much time with anyone else. Francesca is the first person I have ever invited to a game who actually showed up. In high school before I played juniors and switched to homeschooling my friends would always say they were going to come to games but rarely ever did. After a few rounds of disappointment I cut my circle to just my teammates because then I wouldn't be disappointed. Even when Maddie and I were hooking up and I knew she went to most games I never asked if she would be at a game because I didn't want to relive the disappointment. But I know Francesca won't disappoint me, I am not sure how but I know deep down she would move mountains before even slightly disappointing someone.

"Your little pixie fairy coming tonight?"

Bray likes Francesca, even if he is less of a fan of her roommate. She kicked his ass at beer pong over the weekend and the door incident was completely forgotten. While I will never step on the dance floor before she left the other night Bray made her promise that next party she would dance with him which absolutely made her night.

"Yeah, she will be late but she is coming." Bray gives me a look I can't read before returning to his pre game ritual.

Tonight isn't a real game since it is against the national junior team, so guys like me and Bray will spend a majority of our night on the bench giving some of the newer or weaker players some live action practice time. Putting the two of us on the ice with literal high school kids would be cruel, especially since the only people that really attend tonight's game are the kids parents and a few scouts and hardcore fans who want to see the young blood. My parents didn't come to my game when I was on the team, basically the only parents that weren't there but my grandpa did. It was the last game of mine he ever watched and still one I look back on fondly.

"Ryder," Coach barks from his office across the hall. I jump up and jog to his office not wanting to make the coach man wait. He hates waiting and after sprints yesterday I will do anything to keep him happy.

"Sir?"

"This is the roster for tonight's game, since you will be on the bench most of the game I want you taking notes. A few kids haven't committed to a college yet so focus on them. Also after the game find the kids committed to us and make sure they stay committed to us. Got me?"

"Yes sir," I tell him while I grab the list and head back into the locker room to finish getting ready.

When the puck drops I am not on the ice which feels weird but my teammates make me proud. Guys who usually don't get to shine are having their moment and I feel like a proud parent watching them. Almost as proud as I feel watching the junior team guys that I have met and practiced with, who look up to me and now are one step closer to their NHL dream too.