Chapter 16

"What the fuck are you wearing, Beck?" Ryder asks as soon as he sees me

"What are you wearing Ryder," I fire back hands on my hips, giving him a disapproving frown.

"A sweater, sweatpants and a hat?"

"We are on a rescue mission and you come dressed like that! It is like you're asking to be caught!"

"You're so dramatic," he mumbles, shaking his head at me like he has never regretted anything more than what we are about to do. I don't know why he is being such a brat right now. I came prepared for the occasion.

"What is wrong with what I am wearing?"

"Beck, are you serious? You look like you jumped James Bond."

I huff and cross my arms as he leads me to his car. He is being ridiculous. I am wearing black leggings, a black long sleeve turtleneck, a black beanie, black gloves, sunglasses, and black shoes. What else would one wear when trying to sneak into a lab building to steal a rat?  Sweatpants and a sweater? As if.

"Ok now we have to figure out how we are going to get in. I looked at a map of the building and it looks like there are tons of offices on the first floor. Hopefully we can wiggle one of the windows open and get in through there. If not, the building next to it is open usually and the roofs are close enough. I think we can jump and then hopefully there is access from the roof."

"Beck, please tell me you're joking right now."

"Well do you have a better plan?' I question still pouting that he made fun of my outfit.

"The front door? I have swipe access, remember?"

I feel my face heat in embarrassment from his reminder. I might have forgotten that detail when I was zoned out in class planning this little prison break for Penelope. "Oh yeah."

Ryder chuckles and pulls out of the parking lot to head to the lab building. I am freezing, shivering in the passenger seat but I am too stubborn to say a word. Quietly Ryder raises the heat and flicks on my heated seat but doesn't say anything. Most people get annoyed by my stubbornness but Ryder seems to only find it amusing, maybe because he is just as stubborn as I am. I don't find his stubbornness that annoying anymore either. Though this back and forth we still have with the money is getting old. He has given me enough rides now that the $15 is not ridiculous but today after practice I still found it inside my jacket pocket.

"Ready Bond," Ryder asks. We have pulled up to the lab building which is still pretty active and full of people at 8 at night.

"If you would have dressed right we could have been like Mr. and Mrs. Smith but instead you dressed like some normie."

"My apologies princess, next time I will text you and we can coordinate outfits."

"That's more like it," I smile as we both exit the car. I begin to walk toward the building but Ryder grabs my arm and stops me. "Hey," I object as he pulls off my beanie, gloves, and sunglasses.