Chapter 36

I can't remember the last time I was alone in my apartment but it is actually kind of nice to have some time just for myself

I can't remember the last time I was alone in my apartment but it is actually kind of nice to have some time just for myself. Ever since becoming friends with the hockey guys, besides Luna, the rest of us usually spend our time at their house or with them or at their games. The few away games they have had we all watched together. But tonight, Maya is going to a frat party, Parker has a tinder date, and Luna is with Tristian so I had 3 hours to myself before Ryder arrived.

I used my time to grade all the quizzes, study for my exam next week, and even do a little baking. I have never been a baker, that is usually Maya's thing in our house but I wanted to surprise Ry with something after the shitty week he has had. Coach, from what I have heard from him and the others, has been especially brutal and as the week progressed our once clean and polished hockey team has started to look like a bunch of kids playing for the first time. The pressure of tomorrow's game is on everyone but especially Ryder, who as captain is expected to hold the team together in times like this. But who is holding Ryder together while he tries to do it all?

I am just finishing up my decorating when the doorknob on the front door twists, followed by a string of curse words when the person on the other side realizes it's locked. "Sorry," I yell out as I shove the food in the fridge and run to the door to unlock it.

"Sorry sorry," I rush as soon as I pull it open to reveal a frustrated and tired Ryder. He has visible bags under his eyes and looks like he can barely hold himself upright.

"Beck you knew I was coming over," he bites but I know his frustration isn't truly pointed at me. He pushes past me into the apartment and I prepare to be the punching bag for the night for all Ryders built up frustrations. I don't mind really, we all do it sometimes, point our anger at others because they're there. Shit when I did bad at my competition I did it to Ryder, purposely making fun of the team's loss because I was hurt, so now it is time for the roles to be reversed.

"I know but what if I got kidnapped between when you texted me you were on your way and when you got here?"

"They'd return you so I wouldn't be too worried."

I gasp and cover my heart pretending to be offended. "My dad used to say the same thing when I was a kid."

"Smart man," Ryder smiles a little.

"If you want to get settled I just need to clean the kitchen quickly." I point Ryder toward the couch like he doesn't already know where it is before walking off toward the kitchen. I didn't realize until now what a disaster I made. I swear Maya makes it look so easy with zero mess.

"Did a bomb go off in here?" Ryder is also surveying the mess as I try to push all the dirty stuff into the sink.

"I was trying to bake," I say softly. If nonna saw this she'd roll her eyes and say this is not a wife level kitchen and that with cooking skills as sad as mine I am not going to end up with a good husband, just like my whore of a cousin. Not that I think my cousin is actually a whore, getting pregnant accidentally could happen to anyone, and I am sure that has nothing to do with her cooking skill, at least I hope.