1.48

You know when people say "Everything happened so fast..." I always thought it was an excuse, a way to hide the truth and blame it on the things you saw.

That was until Susan Peterkin was lying on the ground with blood pouring out of a gun shot wound in her shoulder.

Only second before, Ward was put in handcuffs. when the sound of a gunshot filled my ears, I pressed my eyes shut until I heard Sarah wispers her brothers' name.

"I saved you, dad." Rafe Cameron let out with a shaky voice. My eyes widened at the sight of sheriff Peterkin on the ground.

That was when Sarah grabbed my hand tightly behind her back, her body wrapped in John B's arms.

Rafe had his gun pointed at us, tears in his eyes.

When Peterkin started coughing, John B ran to her aid. Sarah turned around and linked our arms as I loudly swallowed in fear and utter shock.

When John B tried calling for help, Rafe stepped forward, the gun still pointed at John B. "Don't try it, asshole."

Ward shushed his son. "John B, give me the radio."

John B refused, but Ward was able to pull it from his hands easily since John B used his other hand to press his bandana to peterkins wound.

Sarah had fallen to her knees, with tears falling from her eyes.

I clenched my jaw tightly, pushing back the tears as I sat down next to Sarah, letting her lean on me for support.

"We're okay, you're okay." I wispered to her repeatedly. She nodded but tears kept spilling from her eyes as she clung to my arm.

Before we knew it, John B stood up, and started running, following Peterkins wishes.

Rafe caught on and started running after him. But Sarah, Ward and I all pushed him back. But it didn't matter how much we yelled from him to stop, he got loose and ran after John B through the grass next to the runway. He shot once, and again before Ward got a hold of him again and held him back.

Sarah and I rushed to Peterkin.

"I'm sorry, so so sorry." I told her, tears now also coating my cheeks.

"I'm sorry... I'm sorry." Sarah repeated over and over.

"It's not your fault, sweety." Peterkin said.

"Sarah..." Ward tried getting to his daughter, but when she looked up at him with pure hatred in her eyes, he stopped.

"She is dying... what is wrong with you!" Sarah yelled at her father.

Ward mumbled something to Rafe, something about taking Sarah and I 'home'.

"I'm not going home until the medics get here." Sarah refused, but Rafe grabbed her forcefully.

I tried to grab her hand, but her hand slipped our of my hand from the blood that was coating my hands, which I had only just noticed.

I started at my hands in shock, freezing for a second before Ward put his hand around my upper body and started dragging me with him until Rafe could take over.

Once Rafe grabbed my arm, Ward started using the radio, pretending he was also a victim over the radio.

"Let go of me, you asshole!" I yelled at Rafe as I struggled against him.

"Shut up!" He spat, tightening his grip for a moment.

I took the moment of distraction to kick him in the shin. He groaned and his grip loosened. I pulled my arm back and locked eyes with Sarah who desperately told me to run.