12. Leaving the Underground

Scouts took them with themselves. Of course, all four of them were restrained. Just the fact that they agreed to join Survey Corps didn't mean that they wouldn't run away as soon as they would untie their hands. At least that's what most Scouts, present that day, had thought. Erwin Smith thought differently. He may have seen hatred in all of their eyes, but something was telling him that there was truth in their words, in their agreement to join them. He didn't know yet why there was determination in their eyes to do so, but he was willing to find out. And he knew that he would see through them sooner or later. He just hoped that it would happen sooner.

"Let's go" one of the Scouts, called Mike, pushed Levi to the front and other Scout members did the same with the other three of them.

"We can walk" Sophie growled at them.

"Yeah! Don't push us around, we just told you we will join you!" Isabel agreed with her, but Scouts seemed amused at most.

"We'll see about that" one of the men said sarcastically. "Let's go" he added more harshly and pushed them again.

"Enough of it" Erwin suddenly said. He was standing in the front so he turned to look through his shoulder. "There's no need for a violence. They will become one of us" he said and turned around again. His words were met with unhappy muttering but no one dared to oppose him openly, thus the pushing stopped and all four of them were able to go normally.

"See? Soph told you we can walk!" Isabel said triumphantly and Furlan gently nudged her.

"Stop, Issy or else they will start doing it again" he said and Isabel blushed.

"Don't teach her that" Sophie snapped at him. "She doesn't need to submit to anyone" she added and Isabel's whole face lit up hearing that. Levi was glad she said that. Maybe she wasn't that bad after all. At least she shared the same beliefs when it came to handling Isabel.

"She doesn't?" one of the men laughed, hearing that. "Clearly you don't know anything about military life. We have ranks and orders to follow" he said proudly and pushed his chest to the front, which caused Sophie to snort.

"Yeah, because dumbasses like you wouldn't survive if someone wasn't there to tell them how to wipe their ass" she snapped back and the other three of them smirked hearing that which made Scout's face bright red.

"You little dirty thug" he said ready to say something more which caused both Furlan and Levi to get closer to her, protecting her in case that man decided to use his hands.

"I said enough!" Erwin cut in. His voice was still calm, but everyone could tell that there was a tone of warning underneath it, thus they all lowered their heads and went silent, even though they were glaring with anger at each other from time to time. "I don't want to remind you again that we're about to cooperate"

Sophie rolled her eyes hearing that but didn't say anything even though she didn't trust man's pompous words. They entered the doors leading outside and it was the first time for Sophie to get through them. Isabel had countless unsuccessful attempts of storming through them already. Furlan and Levi went through them for the first time when they were talking with a man who made deal with all four of them. But Sophie hadn't even been close to them. She never felt the temptation to storm through them. She didn't see a point of doing it. They were guarded at all times. She didn't have enough money nor connections good enough to pass through the security. She knew where her place was and that she would never be able to change her positions. And now all that knowledge had to be discarded. It was both scary and exciting at the same time.

As they passed the guards and entered the stairs her heart beating sped up. Her legs were shaking in fear. She never left this place before and now it seemed as if she was saying goodbye to it forever. She looked through her arm to take one last glimpse at this place. All the dirty streets and people dressed in tatters. It was all about to become a close chapter of her life. She was about to enter unknown territory. All her life she was guided by her grandma's wisdom and she feared that her teachings won't be useful above. People that were born looking at a sun are different from them - born in a dark, raised in forgotten by everyone place. They all were scared about coming into a completely new area, so different than those places they knew. As they were taking their steps on the stairs the corridor got brighter, causing all four of them to squint and protect their eyes with their hands.