79. The unexpected

The next day they headed straight to Nathalie's lab just as Erwin had promised. It was dark outside even though it was morning. The clouds were everywhere and the area was foggy. "Good thing we're using our feet, not these vehicles they make," Levi grunted as they entered the alley that was leading to the Burgess estate. "It might start raining anytime. It would be dangerous,"

"Right, not that we're all well-trained soldiers or anything," Sophie rolled her eyes, teasing her husband slightly. Sometimes she just couldn't help it.

"And we don't know how that pill that Nathalie prepared is going to affect his response-time," Erwin said, siding with Levi much to everyone's surprise.

"That's why I think we should postpone our visit to the parliament for another day," Levi suggested as they opened the gate to the Burgess estate and went to the building where Uther already waited to let them inside.

"I already told Kiyomi that we're not going there today. It must be today," Erwin insisted. He managed to fool Kiyomi, saying that they're going to keep trying to find allies today instead of visiting parliament. She already granted them permission to enter the place so they didn't need her to go with them which only made lying to her easier. Erwin didn't trust her anymore. In fact he never trusted her, but knowing that she didn't tell them about Tyburs ruling Marley was the turning point in their relationship. From now on he knew that no matter what he couldn't trust that woman. He had to use her for his own profit, giving her nothing in return. He needed to play with her the game that she started and win it. Now it looked like he had a chance. He still felt a little hesitant about making decisions, knowing that Eric was still somewhere else, unable to tell him whether the call he made was right or not. But he decided to move forward. He managed to get them an ally after all, without Eric's help. That was something, right? Right?!

"Brats are keeping her busy?" Levi asked. They left the rest of their group in the embassy.

"Yes. In the meantime Mike and Hange will double-check if our plan is good," he said as they finally entered the lab. Nathalie didn't even greet them, instead simply nodding at them and reading the papers about the medication she came up with. She was far too excited to care about pleasantries. It was three days now since Eric left which meant he was supposed to come back today. Her heart was beating fast just thinking about it. She was happy to finally see her man, to hold him close and kiss him tenderly. She wished nothing more than to talk with him about her recent discoveries and his travel, to exchange their observations and work together. Two great minds with hearts equally compatible. Alas, there was still a part of her that kept on being worried. What if he won't come back today? What if something happened? When should I start to be really worried? Just thinking about it was making her breathe quicker and her hands shaky. No, she couldn't think about it right now. She had work to do. Her worry won't help him, won't make him closer to going back home. All she could do was wait patiently and use that time productively, making sure that she'll do as much good as possible in the time of his absence.

"Did you make your decision?" She asked them as soon as they approached her. "I made more of these pills in case you want them,"

"I want to talk to you about this medicine first," Erwin said. Nathalie's lips curled up in a slight smile as she nodded and looked at him. She waited for him to say something, she was prepared for all of his questions as she managed to run some further tests on the samples she had, just to clarify everything about the pill she invented. What else could she do while Eric was gone, right? "Let's say that Levi starts taking these pills. Will it only affect his ability to regenerate after the fight or also his skills?"

"The protein that is going to be masked with this medication is only responsible for his healing process. It won't affect any other part of him," she said and Erwin nodded. Levi almost smiled, knowing that right now Erwin was thinking about allowing Levi to be treated like this for real. It wasn't only his wish anymore and he could see how terrified Sophie looked as she seemed to realise the same thing. "Do you have any more questions?" She asked. She actually hoped she would get some as it would keep her busy for a little longer. It would mean a little less time spent on worrying about Eric. Besides, she liked the opportunity to show off her intellect. Not every member of this family believed in her. If it wasn't for her grandpa and Eric she would definitely be less confident than now.