63. Experiments

"That ring is so beautiful!" Sasha cried out as she saw Sophie's hand a few days later. The whole Levi's squad kept on staring at the emerald stone at the centre of it. They didn't have the chance to admire it earlier as the whole unit got a few days off to further the celebration held at the palace.

"It goes really well with your eyes," Jean said which caused all of them to look at him confusedly. "It's true," he blushed as he said it and shrugged his shoulders, causing Sophie to giggle. Most of them laughed too, but Sophie noticed that Jean was only interested in one person's reaction who unfortunately for him didn't react at all.

Mikasa didn't even care that much for a ring. She was taking glimpses at Eren who was quiet since Historia's coronation. It felt as if he was still feeling sick which obviously wasn't possible. Sophie still felt very concerned about him, but she didn't know what to do. She thought about talking with Erwin, but she knew that he was still very suspicious of her and Levi, thus she didn't want to even start a conversation with him as she was worried that he might think that it's just her attempt to let his guard down and make him focus on something else. She knew how his mind worked. She knew far too well, considering their short episode of romantic involvement and years of friendship that stopped the moment he learned about Grisha's books. No, she couldn't talk with him yet. Not until she'll prove to him her good intentions.

"Aren't you afraid that you're going to lose it on the expedition?" Connie asked. It was a very good question. Sophie didn't want to put her ring away even for a second. She got so used to having it on her finger that taking it off seemed almost like being naked. And why the hell would she want to be naked in front of everyone? It was the greatest reminder of her and Levi's love, the promise of eternal love that she hoped so much to have with him. It was comforting her when Levi couldn't, reassuring her that they can actually make it as a couple despite their upbringing.

"I made sure for it to stick well," Levi interrupted the conversation, causing all of them, except for Sophie, to tense a bit. "Don't you brats have something to do? Perhaps clean your equipment?" he asked and they turned red, except from Eren which got Levi's attention. He stayed silent about it though and waited for them all to go. When he made sure that they weren't watching he stole a kiss from Sophie. He didn't want to stop it. On the contrary, he wanted to put his hands under her shirt and feel the warmth of her skin. He wanted to find her nipples under her bra and hear how she would start to moan as soon as he would touch her. Alas, they had no time for such pleasures, thus he pulled away and smirked as he saw how hazy her eyes became. Her cheeks were flushed pink and her hands were longing for his own as she grabbed his hands and put them on her waist.

"I don't want you to stop," she breathed out and he almost trembled hearing how submissive her voice was. No, he couldn't right now. Dammit Erwin and Hange.

"Me too, but four-eyes will storm in here any second if we won't go," he reminded her and she sighed deeply, but nodded her head.

"Let's get over with it and move to better things," she chuckled as she grabbed his hand and urged him to go straight to Hange's lab that was founded in the basement of their HQ. It was good to be back in Trost. This place became home for them. There they made their most beautiful memories. It's the place where both their friendship and relationship had started. She couldn't imagine herself living anywhere else than in this district.

"You finally got your weird stuff, huh?" Levi greeted Hange when they entered the lowest level of the basement. The room was covered in tiles and had lots of vials placed on the cleanest surfaces that they had ever seen. "At least you learned how to clean," he added.

"Nice to see you too, lovebirds," she rolled her eyes and encouraged them to step inside. "This place has to be clean. Otherwise the samples wouldn't give us the true result," she explained and chuckled before she added something more. "Besides, Moblit's the one to clean here,"