33. Not yet

They came back to their headquarters. Sophie was amongst those who helped transfering hurt Scouts to the hospital wing. Her old teammate Farrah was one of them.

"When did you get hurt?" Sophie asked her, the nurse told her to accompany Farrah as she was waiting for a treatment to keep her mind away from pain. Conversation was a good distraction. At least with a good interlocutor, which Sophie didn't consider herself.

"At the very end" she gritted her teeth and closed her eyes, her leg was hurting her too much to focus properly. Sophie had to try harder.

"Must be a tall one, huh? And a dumb face? They all have dumb faces"

Farrah chuckled and opened her eyes, focusing her sight on Sophie. She was trembling though, due to loss of blood. That titan had bitten her leg and probably plucked her skin. It looked terrible. "12 meters actually," she said.

"That bastard, taller than the one that grabbed me. You released yourself on your own?"

"N-no"

"Same" she chuckled. "Good that we have comrades to depend on. I bet they would all love to drink with you. Who helped you?"

"Levi" that one name put Sophie off her stride and made her heart flutter. Suddenly she was in a different place, looking at that man and she clenched her hand on the bedsheet involuntarily. Did the pills really stop working? Should she take more of them? Or was she really angry despite their effect? All that she could think about was him taking care of that girl from his squad. She should be proud of him for doing that, yet all she felt was anger.

He scolded her for getting grabbed by a titan while she was comforting that Petra girl for getting hurt. How was that fair? It didn't seem fair, right, good. And it infuriated her.

"You can go, I'll take care of her" the nurse said and Sophie nodded, relieved that she came. She wasn't a good partner for talking right now. She was so angry at Levi. And as she stood up ready to leave the room she spotted him. She blinked a few times thinking that maybe she was hallucinating, but no. He was there. With her.

He was standing next to her bed and talking with her as the nurse examined her leg. Sophie couldn't help but stand as well and watch them from a distance. She couldn't believe that she was envying Petra being hurt. Well, not exactly that part. She was envying her to have Levi caring for her rather than scolding her. She would do a lot to see him concerned about her instead of being angry. She would harm her leg too if needed. Would it be enough? Or would it require more? Bleeding? Broken limbs? Chopped body parts? She just wanted to see him care about her. Not Petra.

"You took good care of her" the nurse commended Levi and he cleared his throat awkwardly. "It's not a clean job, but it stopped the bleeding. I can take care of her now"

"I can stay" he proposed which angered Sophie even more.

He wanted to stay with her. He wouldn't be this calm and caring with her, wouldn't he? He would go and tell everyone how much she screwed up failing at the mission, right? She wanted to slam his body against the wall and crush his body, digging her nails deep into his skin until it would start bleeding and her hands would soak with the crimson blood. No. She shook her head and stepped away. What the hell was she thinking about?!

"Sophie?" Petra called for her as she noticed her standing there. Fucking perfect. She wanted to go away, to leave this place as she was just caught peeping on them. Awkward and embarrassing.

As soon as Petra said her name Levi raised his head and turned it to the direction where Petra was looking. Just as he did it he saw her and his heart immediately found peace, seeing her there. But why was she standing in the middle of the hospital wing, looking so confused? Was she hurt? He tensed immediately, thinking about that possibility. He wouldn't forgive himself if she got hurt. It would mean that he didn't protect her well enough. He should keep an eye on her at all times.