113. The weight of life

Sophie was scared. Petrified, actually. Her legs were shaking and so were her hands as she looked down on them, unsure what to focus on. Her mind was scorching with questions and doubts that she had ever since she agreed on the plan that Gerhard created for them. It was really an unlikely alliance, one that no one would foresee coming. And yet they were partners now, working together because of the pity they felt for one another. Pity that was caused by a severe trauma they suffered from the hands of their family and their family's masters - Tyburs. Well, not masters anymore, she told herself as her thoughts headed that way. Just our tormentors. Our abusers.

She raised her head and searched for Levi in the room that was far too crowded for her liking. After almost two years of hiding in the forest she started feeling wild and trapped amongst the people, especially those she didn't know before. Luckily, when she met her husband's eyes her worries were gone for a brief moment that she wished could last a bit longer. She wished that these grey irises would soothe all the pain and clear her mind from the second thoughts she was experiencing along with the fear. It wasn't working today. No, she was going to face something so terrifying that there was no way that anyone or anything would calm her down. Her only remedy was in time. Time was going to pass by and this whole thing would be over. And then we'll face consequences, whatever they might be, it was her one last thought before she fully concentrated on Levi who sat next to her right now.

"Erwin gave us his blessing, you know," he said quietly as he didn't want other people to hear their conversation. They were supposed to trust them, that they would execute everything the way they wanted and show the world their story without any lies. Alas, he didn't trust them. How could he? The only person he really, fully and unendingly trusted was sitting right next to him. Heck, she was the reason why he agreed on this interview, despite his own doubts and worries. It sucked knowing that she was unsure of their decision. "We won't have any regrets about this," he added, although it sounded like he was just talking to himself.

"Yeah, we won't," she replied. Her voice was getting a bit raspy and hence she reached for a glass of water, handed to her earlier by the interview crew. The whole thing was happening in Nathalie's house - there was no reason to move to any other place. There was also no need to show them Hope that was now safe and sound with Eric. If anything would go wrong - they would still die in peace, knowing that their daughter was out of Leitz and Tyburs' reach. It wasn't much of a consolation, but it was better than anything.

"Are you ready to begin?" The woman, who was supposed to do the interview with them, asked, catching their attention.

Sophie searched Levi's face for permission and when he nodded, she nodded too. "Yeah, I think we are," she said.

﹡﹡✹﹡﹡

Erwin was sitting in his room that went through some serious upgrades ever since he came back to Paradis. All of our comrades that aren't here wouldn't believe it, he thought many times. It was often paired with a soft smile that always showed up whenever he was deep in his fond memories of his soldiers. Soldiers that were either dead or on a mission on the enemy's territory. So far yet so close, both dead and doing tasks. He just didn't know who was closer right now. It seemed to change every other day depending on the current situation and the mood amongst the other countries' representatives who were quite unpredictable to say the least. They often reminded him of children that were throwing tantrums whenever some new information was thrown at them. He expected nothing else from them after today's interview that his long not seen comrades were going to do. He just hoped that after the rapid mood change it would stabilise in the Eldians' favour. He only asked for his.

"Are we sure this works?" Floch asked as he entered the room. He only allowed himself to do that because it was stated before that they were going to watch Sophie and Levi's performance.