61. Audience

When Scouts arrived in the capital people's applause was as big as at the gates of Wall Maria. Clearly their success left an impression on humanity. No, it left an impression on humanity within the walls. They weren't the entirety of humans that were left in this world. World that turned out to be far more complicated than they originally had thought.

"Poor civilians. They know nothing," Hange sighed as they passed by them and turned into the less crowded alley that was leading straight to the palace where Historia and Zachary were already waiting for them.

"Yet," Sophie replied. She had a feeling that their new queen would like to spread the information among the civilians. She always seemed like a type that liked to be straightforward.

They were sitting in the kitchen. It was Sophie's turn to watch Historia as they were hiding from the MP's. She kept on looking at her from time to time wondering how much she changed since she revealed her true identity. She was no longer that smiley and helpful girl that she met some time ago. Now her facial features were much more serious and even when she smiled it didn't reach her eyes.

"Do you want to ask me anything?" she said after some time, catching Sophie off guard. She clearly caught Sophie staring at her, but she didn't seem to be annoyed by that.

"How do you feel?" she just asked, taking the opportunity. She wasn't close with Levi's newly formed squad, so Historia was baffled by this question. She didn't expect Sophie to ask about that. No one asked her about that except for Eren. They were all just asking her about stuff that she would rather not talk about - when did she learn about her family. Was she mad at her father and mother? They didn't even think about asking her about the one thing that she wanted to be asked about.

"Relieved," she admitted and gifted her with a weak smile that was telling Sophie how exhausted she must have been. "I don't have to pretend anymore and that's good,"

"But?"

"But?" Historia asked confusedly and this time Sophie was the one to smile.

"There's always a but, isn't it?"

A single tear appeared in the corner of Historia's eye and her lips trembled due to emotions. Sophie resembled her Frieda in this brief moment. They both were reading her and asking after the way she always wanted her mother to. When Sophie saw how emotional Historia became, she quickly spread her arms and invited her for a hug. Historia accepted it right away and let Sophie caress her hair in slow movements. "This...name is so heavy. Maybe it would be better to not know about it at all," she chuckled bitterly.

"Then you would always ask yourself where you came from. It's...not always easy," Sophie said carefully. Of course she was speaking from her own perspective and Historia picked up on it. She blushed as she realised how hard it must be for Sophie to know nothing about her family.

"Y-yeah, I guess so," she sniffed and Sophie chuckled as she heard that. She gave her a tissue and helped her wipe tears from her face.

"You know it and it can't be changed, Historia," she whispered and she nodded slowly.

"At least I don't have to pretend anymore," she repeated herself. "I don't have to lie. I hate lying,"

That's why Sophie knew that the information they got was going to be revealed. It wasn't in Historia's nature to keep it just for the chosen ones. Historia was above it all. She had to lie her whole damn life and now that she tasted how good it was to be open about everything, there was no way she would go back from that.

"So now you're willing to tell everyone about our discovery?" Erwin asked, suddenly joining the conversation which caused her and Hange to blush a little, though it was more due to annoyment than a feeling of shame.