16. Rainfall

Night passed too quickly. Maybe they would be more rested if they didn't spend so much time fighting with each other, who knows? But what's done can't be undone. They woke up at the same time as the rest of the Scouts, thanks to Flagon who was responsible for waking up his squad.

"Get up you lazy shits" he said loud enough to make his whole squad hear him.

"He's fucking mad" Levi growled, his hair were messy from squirming on the floor. He was trying really hard to find a good position to sleep. Position that would make it impossible to look at Furlan and Sophie, thus he really looked like shit. He felt like shit too, still thinking about the conversation from last night. Luckily, he didn't have much time for further thinking about it because the brown-haired girl who handed them signal flares yesterday sat on their makeshift beds.

"Hi! I'm Hange Zoe! I didn't introduce myself yesterday, so I guess it's time to make up for it" she smiled widely and waved at them. She matched Isabel's energy very well, thus they both started talking with each other. Levi rolled his eyes and kept on being silent. His head was aching too much for now to participate in their conversation. Sophie and Furlan on the other hand joined Isabel in her polite small talk.

"How long have you been in the Survey Corps?" Sophie asked her.

"Almost two years"

"Interesting! And everyone's talking that Scouts have a short life span"

"Yeah, we have a great rotation of people in here" she said more seriously, which caught Levi's attention. He wanted to know more about all those deaths caused by titans. It was giving him an idea. "But thanks to Erwin we didn't lose anyone yesterday!" she added with excitement. "I hope it will stay this way for the rest of this expedition"

"It should. I mean those flares helped us avoid unnecessary contact with titans" Furlan pointed out.

"Yeah" she sighed with sadness, which baffled them. "Unfortunately, I wasn't in any squad that got in contact with them" she added.

"Are you...sad about it?" Furlan asked, still shocked. She was so different from the rest of the Scouts. Sophie liked her attitude.

"Of course I am!"

"Why?" Levi joined the conversation.

"How are we supposed to defeat them if we keep on avoiding them? We need to find more about these fascinating creatures"

"Fascinating? I always hear people talking that they're terrifying. I like that change" Sophie smiled.

"Yeah, you're not scared of them. We get it" Levi rolled his eyes. "Finally someone that shares your opinion"

"Oh? Did you see them already?" Hange got suddenly more excited.

"We did" Isabel said. "We're in Flagon's squad. Levi took them all down"

"Interesting!" Hange turned to face him with pure admiration in her eyes. Her look was so intense that it made Levi uncomfortable. Sophie narrowed her eyebrow, not really fond of this girl looking at Levi like that, like if he was some freak. She patted her shoulder, urging her to look back at her. "Oh, all of you are in his squad right?"

"That's right" Sophie nodded. "We all saw these titans"

"And what do you think of them?" she asked and Sophie just shrugged her arms.

"I don't know what that fuss is all about" she answered honestly. "They barely can keep their balance while walking and have no strategy when we attack them. It's easy"

"Says a person who can't even sit well in her straddle" Levi grunted, bringing their attention at him once again. His comment angered her. She pressed her lips into a thin line and infuriated sparkles appeared in her eyes. Furlan noticed it and placed his hands on her shoulders, massaging them gently. Her rock was once again there to calm her down and stop her from fighting Levi.