50. Believe

It was two weeks now since Levi left with his squad and Eren to the village outside of Trost where he wanted to train with their mysterious titan boy and resolve the secret surrounding his abilities. All of them were there, except for Sophie. The truth was - she was the reason why he was so eager to leave their main HQ as he wanted to give her the space that she clearly needed. Yes, it was giving him pain - not knowing what she was up to and how she was, but he knew that dragging her with him to this place won't help their situation. It was the only reason why he separated from her on his own. But even though he did that, he still hoped that she would come to visit him one day. He hoped that she would enter his room and lean onto him, kissing him hard and telling him how much she missed him. It was all that he wanted. Unfortunately, time had passed and there was still no sign of her on the horizon.

One day he was sitting in his room, drinking the tea when Gunther came inside to announce something to him. "What is it?" Levi asked.

"There's a horse coming our way and I spotted our cloak," he informed him.

"Our cloak? Did you recognize the person?" Suddenly Levi got more interested, his heart pounding hard in excitement as he hoped that it would be her. His precious woman that broke his heart recently.

"No, captain" he shook his head. "But whoever it is, they will come soon and we'll find out".

Levi couldn't wait patiently in his room and went outside, trying to spot the person's face. Please let it be her, he hoped. Dammit. It wasn't Sophie. It was Erwin. Of course it was him. He promised to check on them when he'll have less work. "You don't look very happy to see me," he grinned at Levi when he finally arrived and got off his horse.

"I would be more happy if we get to the business quickly," Levi rolled his eyes to which Erwin sighed. He expected Levi to be huffy as he knew that he and Sophie had troubles recently. Why else would they separate and why would he inform Erwin that Sophie will stay in the main HQ for a while? It was the only explanation.

"As you wish. How's Eren?"

"Still not handling it well. Four-eyes is pushing him a lot, though,"

"As she should. Are those experiments that she makes with him promising?"

"It's hard to tell, really. Sometimes he has troubles transforming completely and I didn't see Hange figuring it out yet"

Erwin appreciated this quick briefing. Indeed, it was important to not waste time. Especially considering his new plan for an expedition. "Do you think he'll be ready for an expedition?"

"Have you planned one already?" Levi arched his eyebrow as he looked at him with question in his eyes. It wasn't really like Erwin to talk about his plans so openly, even if they were affecting the whole unit. No, Erwin liked to circle around the subject and keep people in the blind spot. Levi believed that it was like this because it helped Erwin to be in control of a situation. When people were surprised by his orders it didn't give them time to figure out something that would mess with his plans. Smart.

"Yes, I have," he admitted so care-free that it made Levi wonder whether he had another plan within the main plan. It sounded nuts, yet he couldn't stop himself from suspecting exactly this. That's what Erwin got him used to. "I would like to start it within a week or two and I expect all of my soldiers to attend it with their respected squads,"

"I don't know if I can guarantee you that," Levi crossed arms on his chest and Erwin wanted to say something to him, but they got interrupted by Hange.

"What can't you guarantee?" she asked, making them turn their faces into her direction. Levi wasn't happy to see her. He didn't know people to know about his troubles with Sophie. Sure, they could make their own theories about it, but why make yourself vulnerable? It was better to not address it and that's how Levi wanted to navigate this problem, but of course Erwin and Hange didn't want to leave it as they both believed that two weeks was enough time for space. If they didn't find a solution for their problems in this amount of time it meant that they needed help.