60. True colours

Sophie and Levi didn't sleep that night. Too many emotions were coming through her mind that they tried to process. They didn't know what to think nor on what to focus on. They were sad to learn about all of that information about their families, yet happy that they decided to marry each other. They wanted to focus all of their attention on that one positive thing, yet it was hard since they both knew that the proposal came up at a rather depressing time.

"I love you," Levi kept on telling her that night while peppering her face and neck with thousands of soft kisses. He wanted her to fall asleep, but she did her best to stay awake. She was too afraid to hurt him. Even though they spent every night together those last few months, now it seemed appropriate to be extra cautious. She wasn't ready yet to get some sleep near him, no matter how much she wanted to. She didn't want him to go to sleep either as she was terrified that something stupid might pass her mind and force her to do something bad to him. She didn't know how to navigate her whole Leitz heritage yet.

"Not for long a Leitz," she kept on whispering that night and Levi confirmed every single time with a firm nod followed by rubbing her body with his hands. He didn't sleep too, just as she wanted. He wouldn't be able to anyway. He could only sleep when she was laying calmly next to him. If she was in a bad mood or wasn't with him he couldn't even close his eyes. He felt as if he was glued to her, his heart, mind and body chained to her own. He didn't mind it though. He loved her with all of his heart.

"Soon an Ackerman," he whispered back from time to time, each time she was becoming less tense which he took as a good sign for a future. "We're gonna deal with it," he promised. They knew that a change of a name wasn't going to erase their genes, yet it was a source of comfort. Marriage was going to solidify their relationship, their bond. It was going to make them unbreakable. No, it was just going to show to everyone else that they were like this. They were unbreakable even without the rings on their fingers. Still, they wanted it. Levi would lie if he told that it didn't slip in his mind before. It did quite a lot recently. Marriage wasn't something they could see in the Underground, but they heard of it a few times.

"I want to take a few days off," Mike said as he sat next to Levi, Sophie, Hange and Erwin. They were all eating their dinner after a rather rough day of training. Erwin wanted to prepare them for an upcoming expedition thus he was harsh with them those last few weeks.

"Why? We're in the middle of preparations," Erwin said as he took a sip of a tea that Sophie prepared for everyone. Levi didn't like to share it with anyone, but he wasn't going to refuse them. No matter how much he wanted to chug it all, just so Erwin wouldn't be able to. Yes, their relationship was bothering him as hell.

"My cousin is getting married. I want to be there," Mike said awkwardly. They all knew that Scouts barely got a chance to see their family members as they had to be always prepared for the worst. At least since the last attack of the colossal titans when they weren't there.

"Married!" Hange yelled in excitement. "That's awesome!"

"Married?" Sophie and Levi asked at the same time confusedly. It wasn't the first time they heard of this term yet they never further investigated its meaning.

"Oh? You don't know what that means?" Nanaba asked. She joined their table right after Mike came in. These two seemed to really enjoy each other's company.

"When people love each other they decide to be together exclusively. Dating, right?" Hange began explaining.

"Right," they both nodded.

"So when you decide that you love that person more than anyone-"

"Or you knocked up the girl and her father is forcing you-" Mike added and Hange nudged him with her elbow.