73. Eric Leitz

"Eric...L-Leitz?" Sophie was dumbfounded, her eyes widened and staring at the man in confusion. Levi was staring both at her and Eric feeling completely lost in the situation. It was a surprise like no other.

"Yes," he said curtly and smiled at her while his cheeks almost blushed. The resemblance was striking. He shouldn't be surprised, after all she was a Leitz as well. She was Sophie Leitz. She looked the same as the one he saw before, but hopefully her character was different. She was with Levi after all. And Levi was an Ackerman. She had to be different, otherwise Levi wouldn't be here. He would be dead, killed in the most awful way by the person in front of him. "You came from Paradis, right?" He asked. He needed reassurance in order to keep his nerves in check.

"I already said they did, darling," Nathalie said soothingly as she urged him to loosen his hold of her.

"We did," Sophie confirmed. There was a small frown that appeared on his face, but it quickly vanished as he relaxed and let go of Nathalie.

"Nice to meet you then," he approached Sophie and offered his hand for a shake which she accepted. His hold was firm and the smile on his face friendly which was contrasting with his previous behaviour that Sophie and Levi were yet to crack. They picked up only on pieces. He was clearly a Leitz, it explained his initial distrust. But they couldn't understand why he talked about Sophie and what this 'massacre' was that he referred to. What did it have to do with her?

"How did you know my name?" Sophie asked, to which he turned red. He was visibly perplexed that she noticed it and he searched Nathalie with his eyes, silently asking for help.

"I'm a scientist, not a spokesperson," she shook her head and grinned at him.

"What's the massacre that you were talking about and what does it have to do with Sophie?" Levi joined the conversation, crossing arms on his chest. His tone was giving away how protective he was and Eric nearly chuckled, all that while Nat was looking at him with interest.

"That's something we should save for a later conversation, I believe. You still don't know me,"

"And you don't know us,"

This time the corners of Eric's lips lifted up in an involuntary smile. "I wouldn't be so sure about that,"

"What do you mean?"

"Well-"

"Don't be so dramatic, darling," Nathalie said to him. "They just learned that there's an outside world," she reminded him.

"Oh, right! Sorry! How long ago?" Eric asked.

"Can you explain what's going on here?" They all turned as they saw Erwin standing in the door and looking at them with a baffled expression on his face. "Who are you?"

"Eric Leitz, nice to meet you, Commander Erwin Smith," He shook his hand. Erwin's eyes widened as he heard these words and Eric's as well as he realised what he had just done.

"Seriously?" Nathalie cried out. "Again?" She started scolding him. "If you're always like this with the people you meet I'm worried about your travels,"

"I was careful with you," Eric mumbled, clearly embarrassed by his own imprudence.

"Aww, so now you're just showing off your incredibly excessive knowledge for everyone? I appreciate it, but it's unnecessary and dangerous !" She nudged him gently and he chuckled, wrapping an arm around her and meeting her eyes with his own for a little longer than they were supposed to, making everyone slightly uncomfortable.

"We're here," Levi coughed and they quickly snapped back.

"Right, sorry," Nathalie smiled politely and nodded at Eric, encouraging him to talk.